Donor Name: Linn County
County: Linn County (IA)
City: Cedar Rapids
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $44 million
The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) of 2021 is a $1.9 trillion economic stimulus bill passed by the United States Congress and signed into law by President Biden on March 11, 2021. It is meant to speed up the United States’ recovery from the economic and health effects caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. This funding package builds upon the CARES Act from March 2020 and its extension in December 2020. ARPA provides a total of $350 billion in assistance for eligible state and local governments to respond to the economic impact from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Linn County Funds
- $44 million of ARPA funding will come directly from the federal government to Linn County.
- $28 million of ARPA funding will come directly from the federal government to the City of Cedar Rapids as an entitlement city with a population greater than 50,000 residents.
Current Guidance for Use of the Funds
- State and local governments can use the funds to cover costs obligated by December 31, 2024, for certain purposes, including:
- Responding to the COVID-19 public health emergency or its negative economic impacts, including providing assistance to households, small businesses and nonprofits, or aid to impacted industries such as tourism, travel and hospitality;
- Responding to workers performing essential work during the COVID-19 public health emergency by providing premium pay to eligible workers;
- Strengthening support for vital public services by replacing lost public sector revenue; and
- Making necessary investments in water, sewer, or broadband infrastructure.
For more information, visit ARPA.