The intent of the Torrington Façade and Building Improvement Program (Program) is to strengthen the economic viability of the City, stimulate reinvestment in commercial buildings and facilitate local economic development.
Donor Name: City of Torrington
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 08/14/2022
Size of the Grant: $25,000
To achieve the goal, the City is providing a financial incentive to property owners and tenants to improve the exterior appearance of their building and make necessary interior renovations that improve the quality of commercial buildings in Torrington.
- Encourage Private investment in commercial properties
- Improve Commercial building to encourage growth and reduce vacancies in storefronts and upper floors
- Enhance the appearance of the neighborhoods commercial area
- Strengthen local business
- Rehabilitate or restore the original character of historic buildings
- Provide a catalyst for others to improve their buildings and storefronts
The focus of the Program is to improve and enhance the exterior visual appearance of existing commercial buildings and to make interior improvements that allow a variety of uses to easily occupy the space in order to attract new businesses. Funding priorities are:
- Buildings that are located within the Downtown District or directly along one of the City’s Gateways (Route 4, Route 202 or Route 800)
- Interior improvements that address Building and/or Fire Code deficiencies.
- Interior or exterior improvements that attract businesses to vacant spaces and/or improve the City’s Grand List
- Improvements that preserve Buildings that are historically and/or architecturally significant.
- Projects which enhance economic development (e.g. Tourism, travel, hospitality).
- Structures owned or operated by private, non-profit organizations are eligible; however, non-tax exempt properties will be given priority.
- Projects that clearly meet the stated goals of this program
- Use of local contractors
This program will reimburse 50% of approved improvements up to $50,000 of total project costs. Maximum award of $25,000.
- Owners of existing commercial structures, located within Torrington, are eligible to apply for funding under the Torrington Façade and Building Improvement Program.
- Tenants of existing commercial structures; with owner’s permission.
- Private, non-profit organizations: provided they:
- Enhance economic development within the City of Torrington,
- The facility is open to the public and
- Building use(s) is consistent with local revitalization goals.
- Mixed-use projects with commercial space on the ground floor and residential space above are eligible applicants.
For more information, visit City of Torrington.