The Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation’s Arts Build Community initiative supports the testing of new ideas to increase community engagement through the arts and creative process, especially among communities of color, youth, immigrants and residents who would like to participate in arts and culture programming but face challenges such as cost, transportation and disconnection from the arts in the Berkshires.
Donor Name: Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation (BTCF)
County: Berkshire County (MA)
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $1000 to $10,000
Grant Duration: Grant Duration Not Mentioned
BTCF seeks to aid innovation among Berkshire County nonprofit arts and cultural organizations and community organizations that present significant arts and cultural programming as they launch new projects, expand existing programs and collaborate with other organizations.
BTCF will allocate funding to projects sponsored by Berkshire County nonprofit organizations that test emerging ideas to more effectively engage residents in the arts and creative process. The foundation encourages resident engagement in the research, design and implementation of the projects.
Proposed projects must be designed to reduce barriers identified by BTCF’s community-based participatory research, which include cost, transportation, social discomfort, time constraints, and fear of rejection based on race and social class.
This may include, but is not limited to:
- Research to further inform your programmatic strategies in the arts and pilot a project informed by your research
- Expansion of or change in a current arts program or event with the goal of increasing access or addressing an identified barrier
- Targeted marketing strategies to reach new arts audiences.
Grant awards will range up to $7,500 per project. The total amount available for all awards is $50,000.
- Be incorporated as a 501(c)(3) organization or operate under the fiscal sponsorship of a 501(c)(3) organization.
- Have operated with active arts and/or community engagement programming.
- Be based in and serve residents of Berkshire County. Fiscal sponsors may be located outside of the county.
- Not include in its by-laws or practice discrimination against a person or group on the basis of age, race, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religious belief.
- Have as its mission a focus on arts and creativity or is an organization for which an arts and creativity program can further its core mission.
Applications will be reviewed by Berkshire Taconic staff using the following criteria:
- Emphasis on arts and creativity as a program strategy
- Readiness of the organization to implement and learn from the proposed project
- Potential impact of the project on the residents with whom it engages
- Demonstrated ability of the organization to implement change and grow.
For more information, visit BTCF.