The City of Urbana Arts and Culture Commission supports opportunities for all residents to engage with the arts in its many forms.
Donor Name: City of Urbana
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $10,000 to $100,000
Grant Duration: 1 Year
The arts are essential to the vitality and development of the city and enhance the quality of life while encouraging economic development, academic performance, and social tolerance. The Urbana Arts Grants Program supports projects in the arts that are accessible to the public. This program fosters an environment for established and emerging artists to thrive in Urbana, promotes life-long participation and learning in the arts, and integrates art into the urban environment. This program is open to all disciplines in the arts on public display within spaces open to the public, including but not limited to creative writing, dance, film, video, music, theatre, visual arts, crafts, performing arts, spoken word, environmental arts, multimedia arts, architectural arts, landscape architecture, and emerging media.
Urbana Arts Grants Program Goals
- Integrate the arts into the urban environment, creating a sense of place and purpose and promoting tourism and commerce;
- Increase the availability of publicly accessible projects in the arts;
- Encourage emerging artists and art forms;
- Preserve and commemorate local and multicultural traditions and histories;
- Enrich the lives of Urbana residents and visitors;
- Increase opportunities for residents to engage in the arts in its many forms;
- Represent the community in its diversity; and
- Encourage partnerships among artists, performers, businesses, and organizations.
Grants will be available in five categories listed below:
- Tier I Grants ranging between $1,000-$2,999 for individual artists and initiatives
- Tier II Grants ranging between $3,000-$4,999 for mid-sized initiatives
- Tier III Grants ranging between $5,000-$10,000 for large-scale special events
- Arts in the Schools Grants for arts education initiatives in USD #116 schools (now built into the Tier I application)
- Poet Laureate Program Honorary award for Champaign County resident poet
- Youth Poet Laureate Program Honorary award for Urbana youth poet.
A total of $90,000 is available for the 2024 Program
- Grant Period begins: 7/1/2024.
- Grant period ends: 6/30/2025.
- Projects must be exhibited or performed within the City of Urbana. Please note that the cities of Champaign and Urbana are separate entities. Preference may be given to projects that take place within a Tax Increment Financing District (TIF).
- Projects must be open and accessible to the public. Projects that charge admission are required to provide at least one event or showing free of charge to the public.
- Permanent installations are not eligible at this time.
- Applicants do not need to live in the City of Urbana. However, Urbana residency may be taken into consideration.
- Previous recipients of Urbana Arts Grants ARE eligible to apply for the 2024 cycle of Urbana Arts Grants. Grant applications requesting funding for new projects or new additions to ongoing projects may be given priority.
For more information, visit City of Urbana.