The Downtown Johnson City Facade Improvement Grant Program is to provide incentives to improve the facades of buildings within the Redevelopment District of Downtown Johnson City, with a priority within the Historic Overlay District.
Donor Name: Johnson City Development Authority
City: Johnson City
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline: All Time
Size of the Grant: $1000 to $10,000
Grant Duration: Grant Duration Not Mentioned
By improving the appearance of building facades, the program serves to increase the economic viability of this area, improved aesthetics, increase property values, enhance the marketability of space within the buildings, eliminate blight, and draw businesses and residents to the area.
The Downtown Johnson City Facade Grant Improvement Program is administered by the Johnson City Development Authority and is supported through the Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Program.
Conforming commercial and mixed-use properties located in the Historic Overlay District are eligible for the façade improvement program.
Examples of Eligible Activities
- Masonry repairs and repointing bricks;
- Repair/replace/preserve historically significant architectural details;
- Storefront reconstruction;
- Removal of false façade;
- Cornice repair;
- Exterior painting and stucco;
- Awnings and canopies;
- Window and door repair or replacement;
- Permanent exterior lighting;
- Repair/replacement of gutters and down spouts;
- Permanent exterior signage integrated into the design;
- Visible roof repairs in conjunction with structural improvements;
- Decking and stairs; and
- Visible electrical, mechanical equipment enclosures
- In order to be eligible for a facade grant, applicants must receive a Certificate of Appropriateness from the City’s Historic Zoning Commission or receive preapproval from the City’s Planning Division staff. In addition to design criteria, the Planning Division will determine if the use of the building conforms to the use requirements for the zoning district in which the property is located.
Furthermore, the application must submit their proposed renovations to the JCDA and receive approval prior to commencing the renovations.
- The level of funding for each grant will be based upon the availability of funds and the impact of the project upon the Redevelopment District. Eligible properties will be considered for reimbursement at 50% of the costs of renovations associated with eligible facade improvements to the primary facade of the building and 25% of the costs of renovations on side of the buildings that are street facing.
- Re-imbursement will be capped at $10,000 per application for eligible facade improvements to single-faced buildings. For buildings with multiple street facing facades, up to an additional $5,000 may be awarded. Larger grants may be awarded for projects that show substantial economic impact, including job creation and sales tax generation in the downtown area. Grants will be evaluated and awarded on a case-by-case basis and may be denied for any reason.
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
Applicants must be current on all taxes, mortgages, and insurance for the proposed project site.
- Property owners who are licensed general contractors must provide a second quote from a licensed contractor in order to be eligible.
- Projects that have been approved but have failed to commence within six (6) months of the approval date must reapply.
For more information, visit JCDA.