The “Capacity Strengthening Program” (CSP) supports the development of healthy and sustainable Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) that can successfully bid, receive, and execute contracts from the County and other government agencies.
Donor Name: Harris County Public Health
County: Harris County (TX)
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $10,000 to $100,000
Grant Duration: 2 Years
The ultimate goal is to expand contracts to a more significant number and percentage of provider organizations specifically serving communities that have been underrepresented or poorly served.
This unique pilot program will follow a cohort of approximately ten community-based organizations for a period of 16 months. The program provides selected organizations with funding up to $100,000 throughout the cohort and delivers customized Technical Assistance to meet the unique needs of the participating organizations. Cohort members build and implement a customized organizational capacity-strengthening plan and participate in monthly training, workshops, and peer learning opportunities to increase organizational capacity for all cohort members.
To support eligible grantees, HCPH will offer the following resources for this effort:
- Funding up to $100,000 per organization
- Technical Assistance for ongoing capacity-strengthening support
- Connections to learning opportunities, educational sessions, and peer networking opportunities
Participating community-based organizations will improve the following:
- Organizational policies and practices to help improve services and increase impact
- Ability to become an approved vendor for County contracts
- Operating systems to meet contract requirements
- Working relationships with Harris County departments
- Sustainability planning
Awarded funding will be for the duration of the program (16 months) and will be disbursed in two phases. All selected organizations will receive $25,000 to participate in the pre-implementation phase and up to $75,000 during the implementation phase of the capacity-strengthening project. The maximum an organization may receive is $100,000 through this grant.
All funding is contingent on acceptance and full participation in the cohort. The funding in the preimplementation phase ($25,000) may be used for any allowable cost and is dependent on the completion of an initial organizational assessment and development of a personalized organizational capacity-building plan. The funding in the implementation phase (up to $75,000) must be used to implement the capacity-strengthening plan developed during the pre-implementation phase.
Eligible applicants must be based in Harris County, conduct their proposed work in Harris County, and should:
- be categorized as 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or fiscally sponsored.
- have programs and/or services that address social determinants of health (SDOH) and advance health equity.
For more information, visit HCPH.