The Spruce Foundation provides grants to empower emerging leaders in Greater Philadelphia to develop as philanthropists and strengthens the region’s generations to come through fundraising and grantmaking for youth-serving nonprofits.
Donor Name: Spruce Foundation
County: Philadelphia County (PA)
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: Not Available
Grant Duration: Grant Duration Not Mentioned
The Spruce Foundation is an all volunteer non-profit that cultivates next-gen leaders and philanthropists. The goal and mission of the organization is to give back to Philly youth. They raise money each year through events, small donations, and sponsorships to provide grants for emerging, youth-serving Philadelphia non-profits, making the city a better place to live for everyone a little bit more each year.
The Spruce Foundation trains a committee of board members and volunteers to review each application. Applications are evaluated according to a comprehensive rubric that covers the following:
- Serving Philadelphia youth directly.
- Community need: clearly defined, using concrete examples and in alignment with strategies/program objectives.
- Community impact: examples of long-lasting impact and a vision for use of grant funds for sustainability.
- Idea viability: evidence of utilization of best practices and potential success.
- Program evaluation: specific activities and measures built into the program.
- Financial sustainability: clear plans to sustain organization beyond Spruce grant.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: how your organization incorporates the diversity of the Philadelphia community.
- Non-profit Organizations serving youth of Philadelphia County in Pennsylvania are eligible to apply.
- Organization can apply for a grant if it does not have 501(c)3 status but is supported by a fiscal sponsor.
- As a general requirement, all applicants must have a total organizational budget of $800,000 or less. This change was first instituted in the 2017-2018 grantmaking cycle, and will continue in the current cycle. Applicant organizations do not need to focus exclusively on youth; however, 75% or more of the organization’s operations must be dedicated to youth-serving activities.
For more information, visit Spruce Foundation.