Fundraising for Community Media is a 3-month, tuition-free, online program that trains teams from Asian, Black and Latine newsrooms to build skills and competencies needed to develop business strategies and sustainable revenue streams around fundraising.
Donor Name: Lenfest Institute for Journalism
State: All States
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: Not Available
Grant Duration: Less than 1 Year
It is a collaboration between the Center for Community Media andThe Lenfest Institute for Journalism’s News Philanthropy Network.
The Fundraising for Community Media program is set to train both for-profit and nonprofit newsroom teams in tools and skills in fundraising including grant writing, revenue planning, and the philanthropic landscape as a whole. Participants will also participate in a workshop on examining their relationships with money and philanthropic institutional cultures as leaders of color, and will receive coaching and mentorship from other community media leaders of color who have successfully built fundraising strategies.
This program is designed for journalists and media professionals working in newsrooms in the U.S. that serve audiences on the mainland and its territories and freely associated states, and is based on the expertise and curricula created by The Lenfest Institute’s News Philanthropy Network. Participants will meet biweekly, be mentored and coached by other community news media publishers in the industry, and obtain practical experience over the course of three months in late spring.
Benefits Participants will
- Gain a big-picture perspective on the philanthropic landscape for journalism and how to use fiscal sponsorship to fundraise as a for-profit organization
- Goal-setting, budgeting, and campaign planning for your newsroom’s fundraising strategy
- Learn how to prospect your audience and community for donors, and how to make the ask
- Receive coaching from other newsroom leaders who have had success fundraising Criteria
They are looking for:
- Asian, Black or Latine newsrooms
- Newsrooms that have little to no experience with fundraising
- Newsrooms with the capacity to attend all trainings and implement what they’ve learned
- Be willing to share what they learned with other publishers and successes as a public case study
For more information, visit The Lenfest Institute for Journalism.