Donor Name: City of Bakersfield
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 12/23/2021
Grant Duration: 12 months
The purpose of the program is to help:
- Engage homeless individuals and families living on the street;
- Improve the number and quality of emergency shelters for homeless individuals and families;
- Help operate these shelters;
- Provide essential services to shelter residents;
- Rapidly re-house homeless individuals and families; and
- Prevent families and individuals from becoming homeless.
- Renovation: major rehabilitation or conversion of buildings for use as emergency shelters for the homeless. This may or may not include overnight sleeping. If funds are used for this purpose, the facility must be used for the homeless for not less than 10 years.
- Emergency Shelter or Street Outreach:
- Operational costs: payment of maintenance, insurance, utilities or staff time to carry out operational work.
- Essential services: a new service or a quantifiable increase in the level of service previously provided.
- Homelessness prevention: development and implementation of homelessness prevention activities.
- Rapid Re-housing: provision of services to re-establish housing for homeless persons.
The City must encumber funds within six months from the start of the Fiscal Year, (City’s Fiscal Year is from July 1 to June 30). All ESG funds must be expended within 24 months of the City/HUD agreement. Each successful applicant will be allowed to spend its allocation within 12 months of the date of the City/Applicant agreement. If funds are not spent within that time, the City will determine whether to extend the agreement or seek other ways to utilize the funds. Agencies that do not expend ESG funds in a timely manner will be determined to be non-responsive which could jeopardize future ESG allocations.
Who May Apply?
- All private non-profit organizations, 501(c)(3) corporations, are eligible to apply for funding.
- Any entity receiving ESG funding must be an active member in the Continuum of Care (Bakersfield Kern Regional Homeless Collaborative), and registered in the HMIS system.
For more information, visit City of Bakersfield.