The Tom Neumann Memorial Summer Learning Fund provides grants to Oak Park and River Forest High School and Trinity High School juniors each year to participate in an intensive and extended development program of their choice during the summer.
Donor Name: Oak Park-River Forest Community Foundation
Village: Oak Park
Type of Grant: Scholarship
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 03/07/2022
Grant Size: Up to $9,000
Students can, for example, learn biology in Costa Rico, participate in a program in Europe, or any programs that spark students’ interest. Programs that are generally 3 or more weeks are prioritized. Participation of such programs will inspire and empower students to have an extraordinary experience in their summer. This grant will support students who may qualify to participate, but cannot participate due to the cost of a program. After the completion of the program, a Post-Program report is required for all grantees.
The grant will fund:
- Cost of the program, including tuition/program charges, transportation to and from the program and travel/health insurance (as needed).
The summer development programs must be structured and sponsored by respected organizations, including but not limited to: CIEE, the Experiment in International Living, American Field Service, American Friends Service Committee Work Camps, music or art summer camps, science or language summer programs, Outward Bound, National Outdoor Leadership School camping programs, the Road Less Traveled, etc. Grants will not fund self planned adventures for pure tourism such as independent cross-country or European travel.
Participants will be selected by a selection committee for the Tom Neumann Memorial Summer Learning Fund, with assistance from the Oak Park-River Forest Community Foundation, which manages the Fund.
Amount: Up to $9,000 toward participation in an academic, cultural or travel enrichment activity between the junior and senior year of high school.
Applicants for this grant must:
- Be a current OPRFHS or Trinity HS junior student interested in furthering academic accomplishments and/or personal development by pursuing field studies, trips, academic programs, or exchange programs during the summer between junior and senior year.
- Complete the application form, essay and requested documents and submit to the Oak ParkRiver Forest Community Foundation. The Office of Student Activities at OPRF High School is also available to answer any questions. The application must be typed. Handwritten applications will not be considered.
- In essay, be able to define goals for participation that build on students’ personal or academic interests and/or career directions.
- Include a package of printed information about the program that you desire to attend, published by the program’s sponsor.
- Provide an unofficial transcript of your high school record to date.
- Provide explanation of financial need in the essay.
- Provide a recommendation from one teacher stating why the teacher believes you would benefit from such a program.
- Interview with a selection committee, if selected for final candidacy on the basis of application.
For more information, visit Oak Park-River Forest Community Foundation.