Villa Albertine, in collaboration with FACE Foundation, is pleased to announce a new grant commission program in support of photographers and other lens-based artists pursuing projects that explore unique aspects of Chicagoland, a region that reaches from the city of Chicago to surrounding areas in Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin.
Donor Name: Face Foundation
State: All States
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $15,000
The ambition of this commission is to create a group of sensitive and revealing perspectives on the complex and continually evolving region filtered through an artist’s lens. They invite photographers, filmmakers, and other artists working in lens-based media to share their accounts of the transformations and continuities that define Chicagoland and its inhabitants. Proposals tied to underrepresented communities or by artists engaged in collaborative processes are especially encouraged to apply.
Three grantees will each receive $15,000 to develop or expand a body of work tied to Chicagoland. Funds are intended as remuneration for the work, covering the cost of production, materials, travel, and related expenses. During the grant period, which will take place over the first half of 2023, grantees will receive additional support through a series of working sessions and events where they will be invited to share their work in progress.
- The call for applications is open to those meeting the following criteria:
- Contemporary photographers or lens-based artists (filmmakers, etc.)
- American citizen or legal residents of the United States (grantees will be asked to provide a W9)
- Based in the United States
- The projects will be reviewed by a jury and awarded based on the overall quality, originality, and feasibility of the proposal.
- For the purposes of the grant, “Chicagoland” does not carry a strict definition, but the boundaries roughly correspond to the Chicago Metropolitan Statistical Area as designated by the U.S. Census Bureau, which includes Cook County along with 14 surrounding counties.
For more information, visit Face Foundation.