Donor Name: Decatur Arts Alliance
Type of Grant: Program
Size of the Grant: Up to $50,000
The project development site is located within the City of Decatur, at its eastern boundary, one block from the Avondale MARTA Station. Bounded by East Ponce de Leon Avenue to the south, Arcadia Avenue to the north, and a transitioning semi-industrial area to the east, the development site is along thoroughfares that serve as gateway entrances to the City of Decatur. In addition, the Stone Mountain multi-use trail is located directly across the development along East Ponce de Leon Avenue.
The Sam’s Crossing retail/residential district is on a 10-acre site and comprises 69,000 square feet of commercial retail space, including a Publix grocery at 2720 E. Ponce de Leon Ave., and the 290-unit Notion apartments at 175 N. Arcadia Ave. Building construction of the retail development was completed in November 2021. The residential apartments will be completed in summer of 2022.
The building materials used in the retail/residential development are:
- Precast concrete
- Decorative brick
Opportunities for art at the project site are currently limited to small- to large-scale sculptures (depending on the site) composed of artistic stonework, metal, and environmental art. The materials must be appropriate for exterior installation and the four season weather conditions of North Georgia.
Theme and Concept
While the art need not necessarily have a reference to retail establishments in the district, it should explore the surrounding community.
- Placemaking: the Decatur Arts Alliance encourages art that generates a sense of place and gathering—innovative art that becomes a destination in and of itself.
- Inclusiveness: art that celebrates the diversity of the surrounding community and that strives to be relatable to all viewers.
- Interaction: art that is immersive and encourages the viewer to touch, move around, move through or otherwise engage with the work.
- Sustainability: art that explores or interacts with the natural world and makes use of renewable and natural materials.
Total compensation for each work is determined by specific site.
- Site A: Up to $40,000
- Site B: Up to $50,000
- Site C: Up to $30,000
This amount includes delivery and transportation to the site in Decatur, Georgia. The Decatur Arts Alliance and the City of Decatur will coordinate site preparation, installation, maintenance and insurance for each piece of work.
The Decatur Arts Alliance invites submissions from artists who are eligible to work in the United States. Qualified applicants will be familiar with Decatur, Georgia.
- Each work must be located in the spaces that are accessible to the public during regular business hours.
- Each work must not encroach on or impede access to any streets, sidewalks or walkways outside the specific site for each work.
- The art must have an appropriate scale for each specific site.
- The work must compliment the building and landscape and enhance the neighborhood. The work must be respectful and appropriate for all ages.
- Any art installed must be weatherproof and able to withstand outdoor conditions of sun, rain, heat and cold, requiring minimal maintenance.
- Any art installed must be made resistant to, or able to be cleaned of, graffiti tags with simple cleaning solutions.
For more information, visit Decatur Arts Alliance.