Bronx Council On the Arts (BCA) is accepting applications for its Bronx Recognizes its Own (BRIO) Award to support individual Bronx artists who create works in the literary, media, visual, and performing arts.
Donor Name: Bronx Council On the Arts (BCA)
State: New York
County: Bronx County (NY)
Type of Grant: Awards and Prizes
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 01/10/2022
Size of the Grant: $5,000
BCA awards grants up to $5,000 to Bronx artists each year, based solely on artistic excellence. Winners complete a one-time public service activity known as Artists for Community Enrichment (ACE), an essential component required of all BRIO recipients to be completed within a year of receiving the award. ACE provides artists with additional visibility and demonstrates to the community the wealth of artistic talent available in the borough.
BCA’s BRIO Award has been recognizing artistic excellence across a wide range of creative disciplines for 34
years. Annually, Bronx Recognizes Its Own (BRIO) provides direct support to individual Bronx artists who create works in the literary, media, visual, and performing arts, via awards of $5,000 each. Artists who have received a BRIO award – notably early career artists – represent the vast diversity of Bronx residents, inclusive of a large array of ethnicities, ages and genders that mirror the diversity of our borough. Over the years, BRIO has emerged as one of the most coveted distinctions amongst artists residing in the Bronx.
The Bronx Council on the Arts now highlights BRIOs core emphasis: having distributed over $1,725,000 in support to 526 artists over more than three decades. Adjudication panels are comprised of seasoned artists and arts professionals from outside the borough who, guided by discipline specific criteria and experience, review submissions anonymously and select awardees for distinction, whose work demonstrates the following:
- An innovative approach to the discipline.
- Probing and pushing of boundaries.
- Technical expertise and high level of skill.
- Ingenuity and rigor in its production.
- An awareness of the medium within a historical context.
- Compelling vision and original voice.
In addition, winners are required to complete a one-time public service activity known as Artists for Community Enrichment (ACE) within a year of receiving the award. ACE events (ranging from performances with Q&As to workshops and classes) provide artists with additional visibility and demonstrate to the community the wealth of artistic talent available in our borough.
BCA is proud to continue the BRIO tradition into the future, offering this invaluable honor in the Bronx that
- Boosts early career artists
- Highlights previously unknown voices
- Recognizes quality artistic practice
- Fosters connection between Bronx artists and their communities
- Literary Arts:
- Fiction, Non-Fiction, Poetry, Playwriting, Screenwriting, Illustrated Text
- Media Arts:
- Digital Arts, Film or Video (Narrative/Documentary/Experimental), Film Animation
- Performing Arts:
- Visual Arts:
BCA awards grants up to $5,000.
Who can apply?
- You must be 18 years old or older.
- You must be a resident of the Bronx. Applicants must provide 2 proofs of Bronx residency.
- You must have an e-mail address.
- You must have a Social Security number.
Who is not eligible to apply?
- Full time graduate or undergraduate students enrolled in any degree program.
- Recipients of 2021 BRIO awards.
- Individuals who work for Bronx Council on the Arts.
For more information, visit Bronx Recognizes its Own (BRIO).