Are you a cleantech startup striving to create solutions in energy, transportation, or smart cities that would benefit from hands-on support through market access, business services, and introductions to funders? If yes, then this call is for you!
Donor Name: Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator
City: Los Angeles
Type of Grant: Incubator
Type of Entity: Startups
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 12/17/2021
Duration: 2 years
LACI is eager to welcome even more startups to the community and is now taking applications for Cohort 4.
Based on the market activity in 2020/2021, LACI is looking for startups solving problems in Clean Energy, Zero Emissions Mobility, and Sustainable Cities.
To build an inclusive green economy, LACI is also looking to support startup-led innovation focused on zero emissions mobility of people and goods. LACI’s Transportation Electrification Partnership (TEP) for example, works together with policymakers, corporate partners, and other private-public collaboration to help achieve the following goals in Los Angeles by the 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games:
- Accelerate the adoption of electric light duty vehicles to be 30% of all vehicles on the road and 80% of those sold
- Shift at least 20% of all single passenger vehicle trips to zero emissions public and active transportation
- Ensure that 100% of all public investments in goods movement will advance zero emissions solutions
Using this roadmap, LACI wants to work with companies that can help utilize innovative technologies and solutions to make the movement of people and goods connected, shared, and electric. Some examples of these solutions include: Real-time data reliability and multi-modality, low-cost, high visibility mobility hubs for first/last mile mobility, zero emissions last mile urban goods delivery, and more.
The Incubation Program offers hands-on incubation services for supporting cleantech startups’ growth in Southern California. The first six months of the program are dedicated to intensive curriculum workshops, one on one sessions, and roundtables focused on Market and Investor Readiness. After the initial six-month period, the program is focused on achieving the objectives outlined in a custom roadmap around fundraising, product development, market access, team growth, and partnerships.
- Advanced curriculum with a focus on building your team, sales, and creating a strong legal foundation for business growth
- Dedicated advisory services with our Executives in Residence
- Mentorship and eligibility to receive up to $20K in funding for small-scale pilot deployment
- Up to $160,000 in business services and perks
- Eligibility for the LACI Impact Fund and Debt Fund to finance your growth
- Deep discounts on desk space and Advanced Prototyping Center membership at the La Kretz Innovation Campus in Downtown Los Angeles (pending the campus re-opening due to COVID).
Program cost: 1.5-3% equity stake in the form of a warrant with the opportunity to earn back through achieving impact milestones
- Program start: April 2022
- Program length: 2 years
- Startups must:
- Have a cleantech solution that addresses one of three priority areas: Clean Energy, Zero Emissions Transportation and Smart & Sustainable Cities/Circular Economy.
- Own or license a novel proprietary technology.
- Have a significant presence (operations or sales) in Southern California with founder or key executive able to attend meetings, workshops and events on campus periodically (once COVID is under control and campus re-opens).
- Have at least 2 full-time employees.
- Have a working prototype (TRL 4+).
- Commit to all curriculum and mentorship opportunities during the first 6 months. This is approximately a 4-7 hour weekly commitment.
- They evaluate based on:
- Technology type, credibility and innovation.
- Investability of a startup based on their market, business model, technology, and competitive advantage.
- Environmental and community impact of the solution.
- Potential for the startup to grow their team, operations and sales in the Los Angeles region.
- Founder and team’s coachability, experience, and commitment.
- Startup’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Overall fit of startup and team within the LACI community.
For more information, visit Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator.