The Monadnock Food Co-op (MFC) in partnership with the Cheshire County Conservation District (CCCD) request proposals from farms who seek funding to make investments.
Donor Name: Cheshire County Conservation District
State: New Hampshire
County: Cheshire County (NH)
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $10,000 to $100,000
Grant Duration: Grant Duration Not Mentioned
The mission of the Monadnock Food Co-op Farm Fund is to bolster local farmers’ efforts to expand sustainable food production for wholesale markets, contributing to the vitality of local farming economy. Funds can be used to support a range of projects, including the purchase of equipment and infrastructure, farmland conservation, packaging and labeling design needs, and technical assistance. The Farm Fund grant program aligns with several shared goals of the Co-op and Conservation District, such as fostering the sustainability of farm businesses and the local economy, preserving farmland, and ensuring the responsible stewardship of natural resources.
- Food safety planning and infrastructure
- Equipment for efficient and sustainable food production and harvesting
- Food storage infrastructure
- Equipment for value-added food production
- Packaging and labeling development, including the design of logos
- Cost share for technical assistance including business and financial planning from the NH Community Loan Fund or other reputable providers
- Critical farm infrastructure and necessary capital improvements for long-term farm viability. This project category is only available for farms who have been established and contributing to the agricultural economy for more than ten years.
- Support for farmland conservation (this could include succession planning and attorney fees associated with the permanent protection of farmland)
Priority in the 2024 grant round will be given to Emergency Relief requests. A minimum of 1/3 of funding will be reserved for other project categories. Applications in other project categories will be evaluated by the following criteria:
- Increase farm profitability
- Develop or expand production for wholesale markets, including the Monadnock Food Co-op
- Meet market demand
- Cost/benefit analysis determines efficient use of funds
- Have a significant impact on the long-term viability of the farm. This includes the permanent land protection through conservation and capital improvements for critical farm infrastructure.
There is approximately $20,000 available in the 2024 funding cycle. Awards no less than $500 and no greater than $20,000 will be considered.
- Farms in Cheshire County and abutting NH towns.
- If applying for Emergency Relief, the eligibility has been expanded to also include agricultural producers in NH and VT that have an established vendor relationship with the Monadnock Food Co-op. Producers with an existing relationship with Monadnock Food Co-op will be prioritized.
- Farm businesses in operation for at least one year and have secure access (own, lease) to land on which the operator is farming. If renting, the lease must be in writing, and have a term long enough for the farmer to complete the proposed improvement project and see a return on the investment.
- To receive funding a farm must operate in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
For more information, visit CCCD.