Spirit of Youth is seeking applications for its Youth Advocacy Grant.
Donor Name: Spirit of Youth
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 12/09/2021
Size of the Grant: $17,000
The Youth Advocacy Grant is specifically intended to support youth led projects that meet the following goals:
- Increase advocacy skills among Anchorage youth
- Provide forums to discuss issues impacting the context/environment for youth in Anchorage
- Explore factors that impact youth mental health
Grant Funding Limits
The funding is for one project with a budget of up to $17,000.
Allowable expenses may include:
- Paid staff time
- Facility rental
- Value of volunteer time
- Youth Stipends
Grant Project Team
- Projects are intended to support youth-led initiatives within the 12-24 year old age range. Priority will be given to proposals reaching this age group.
- Spirit of Youth requires a “Youth Representative” and an “Organizational Representative” to lead the Grant Project Team. The Team will carry out the implementation of the project, and the Youth Representative and Organizational Representative will be the main points of contact between Spirit of Youth staff and their Team.
- The Team will be required to participate in bi-monthly meetings with representatives from Spirit of Youth.
Project Expectations and Proposal Criteria
- Project proposals should be clear and have an achievable project plan and clear measures of success. Spirit of Youth understands that projects may shift and become more focused throughout the project timeframe.
- Goals: Projects must meet at least two of the goals mentioned above.
- Aim: Grants are meant to support projects involving 12-24 year-olds in the Municipality of Anchorage that impact the condition for youth in Anchorage that impact mental health.
- Priority: They will give priority to youth led initiatives within the 12-24 year old age range. Additionally, some populations of youth may be more vulnerable to experiencing mental health challenges, including LGBTQ+ youth, youth who experience disabilities, and other groups who are traditionally under-served. Priority will also be extended to projects seeking to work within these populations.
- Youth Involvement: Projects will receive higher scores that involve youth in leadership roles, in decision-making, and project proposal development and implementation. They also value youth and adult partnerships that foster support, respect, and shared values. Often these projects will give youth participants new opportunities and experiences, and in some cases even help students learn a new skill.
- Adult Roles: Adult mentoring is vital to the success of projects. Adults are especially valuable in organization, scheduling, and logistical roles. Adults can lend expertise and professional mentoring.
- Impact: Projects will receive higher scores if they have a plan for lasting impact.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
- Spirit of Youth is looking to be inclusive in its award so that youth organizations, schools, and other non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations are eligible to submit proposals. Applicants must serve the Municipality of Anchorage for this project.
Who Cannot Apply?
- Individuals, for-profit, 501(c)(4) or (c)(6) organizations based organizations are not eligible. Applications are also not eligible if they promote lobbying, fundraising, electioneering, or are partisan. Applications will not be eligible if they discriminate based on, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual preference, marital status, age, ability, or creed. Organizations with focused demographic targets remain eligible.
For more information, visit Youth Advocacy Grant.