The Emerging Creators Fellowship program is developed out of the Arts & Science Council’s belief that continued investment in creative individuals who make Charlotte-Mecklenburg home benefits the region’s overall cultural climate.
Donor Name: Arts & Science Council (ASC)
State: North Carolina
County: Mecklenburg County (NC)
Type of Grant: Fellowship
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 01/24/2022
Size of the Grant: $8,000
Grant Duration: 1 Year 2 Months
The fellowship funds can be used for research, workspace/studio rental, conferences, apprenticeships, travel, creation of new work, materials or other experiences that help the recipients develop their creative capacity. In addition to the grant, the fellows be made aware of and encouraged to participate in professional development and growth opportunities through ASC.
The fellowship is an investment in Mecklenburg county’s emerging creatives, 25 years and older, who need time and resources to explore ideas, connect with professionals in their field and create new projects. The fellowship supports creatives with evolving practices that are at a pivotal moment in launching sustainable careers in the creative sector.
Fellowship activities must occur between April 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023 as determined by the applicant. Examples of possible fellowship activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Exploration of new ideas
- Execution of new or recently begun projects
- Research and/or instruction
- Conferences or retreats
- Professional development activities may be conducted anywhere. Proposals for new work should be accessible to Charlotte-Mecklenburg audiences. Fellows will be responsible for making all arrangements and/or purchases for fellowship activities. Fellowship funds may not be used for tuition toward degree-seeking course work.
Emerging Creators Fellowships are funded through the generous support of the City of Charlotte through the Infusion Fund, and Mecklenburg County.
In 2022, ASC will award up to ten $8,000 Emerging Creators Fellowships to individuals who have lived in Charlotte-Mecklenburg for at least the past three continuous years and who have earned at least one half of their income from their creative practice over the past year.
Payments will be made according to a Funding Schedule that will be issued to grantees. Each fellowship recipient will be required to submit an IRS W-9 form so that an IRS 1099 income statement can be issued by ASC for the fellows’ tax records. All taxes and reporting of taxes will be the responsibility of the fellowship recipient.
Fellowship activities must occur between April 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023 as determined by the applicant.
Please consider applying if you meet the following criteria:
- You are emerging creative who shows exceptional promise, who has mastered the basic techniques in their field, and who is launching a professional career in the arts, sciences or history.
- You have lived in Mecklenburg County for a minimum of three consecutive years as of January 1, 2022.
- You are 25 years or older as of January 1, 2022.
- You have generated at least one half of your income over the past year through your work as a sole proprietor, creative entrepreneur or contract employee in the fields of visual/folk/performing/multi-disciplinary arts, literature, science, or history, OR the percentage of income earned through your creative practice has progressively increased in each of the past 3 years.
- Note: Other than creative individuals who have formally incorporated their practice as a business, full time employees at arts, science, history organizations are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants and recipients should not currently be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting program now or during the time their funded project is in progress.
For more information, visit Emerging Creators Fellowship.