The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) Division of Health and Wellness has released the Request for Applications (RFA) for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) Equipment Grant.
Donor Name: Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE)
State: District of Columbia
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 07/22/2022
Grant Size: $15,000
Grant Duration: 2 years
The purpose of the NSLP Equipment Grant is to make a significant investment by allowing the purchase of capital equipment used to serve healthier meals; meet the nutritional standards with emphasis on more fresh fruits and vegetables in school meals; improve food safety, and expand access to food services. All purchases of equipment using these funds must be in accordance with federal and District of Columbia procurement laws.
In order to make the most effective use of these grant funds, equipment requests must address at least one of the following focus areas:
- Equipment that lends itself to improving the quality of school food service meals that meet the dietary guidelines (e.g., purchasing an equipment alternative to a deep fryer, or steam ovens that improve the quality of prepared fresh or fresh-frozen vegetables);
- Equipment that improves the safety of food served in the school meal programs (e.g., cold/hot holding bags/equipment, dishwashing equipment, refrigeration, milk coolers, freezers, blast chillers, etc.);
- Equipment that improves the overall energy efficiency of the school food service operations (e.g., purchase of an energy-efficient walk-in freezer replacing an outdated, energy-demanding freezer);
- Equipment that allows sponsors to support expanded participation in a school meal program (e.g., equipment for serving meals in a non-traditional setting or to better utilize cafeteria space); or
- Equipment that aids in strategies for adopting smarter lunchrooms (e.g., lunchroom changes that appeal to students, highlight convenience and healthy choices, and support menu changes to healthier options).
- Total funding available: $99,944
- Minimum award amount: $1,000
- Maximum award amount: $15,000
- All awards are made for a period of up to two years, as defined by the grant period.
Charter School campus chartered by the District of Columbia Public Charter School Board that currently participates in the NSLP (including Seamless Summer Option or SSO), may apply. Awards are determined based on the school campus, not the School Food Authority (SFA) as an entirety. SFAs cannot submit applications for school campuses that are not part of their SFA in school year 2021-22.
For more information, visit Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).