The N. C. Arts Council’s Grassroots Arts Program has provided North Carolina citizens access to quality arts experiences. The program distributes funds for the arts in all 100 counties of the state primarily through partnerships with local arts councils. The Orange County Arts Commission (OCAC) serves as the N. C. Arts Council’s partner in awarding subgrants to local organizations for arts programs in Orange County, as well as additional grant funds approved by the Orange County Board of County Commissioners.
Donor Name: Orange County Arts Commission (OCAC)
State: North Carolina
County: Orange County (NC)
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 01/07/2022
Grassroots Arts Program funds may be used for expenditures to conduct quality arts programs in public or private schools. Typical uses of Grassroots money include program expenses such as professional artists’ fees and travel, space rental, advertising, marketing and publicity, website and electronic media, scripts, costumes, sets, props, music and theater equipment rental.
Schools wishing to hire teaching artists or in-school (in-person or virtual) performances are encouraged to utilize the following partner resources:
- Carolina Theater Arts Discovery Educational Series: virtual offerings include The Movement and February One.
- Durham Arts Council’s CAPS Artist Directory
- United Arts Council of Raleigh and Wake County’s Artists in Schools Directory
Schools booking artists in conjunction with the partners will not be required to provide work samples/artist resumes in this application.
- Tribal organizations that receive grassroots funds must represent state or federally recognized tribes.
- Grassroots funds may not be awarded to individuals.
- Grassroots funds may not be used for art supplies or equipment purchase.
- Grassroots funds may be used for student transportation to regional arts exhibits and programs on a limited basis.
- Grants may not be awarded for prizes, competitions, scholarships, tuition or financial awards.
- Religious organizations or churches may not receive Grassroots funds unless the programs are presented outside regular church services, engage the larger community and do not contain religious content.
Grassroots funds may not be used for activities associated with a school’s internal arts programs, such as in-school student performances, the purchase of art supplies, or student arts competitions and publications.
Eligibility for Application
- All schools must reside within Orange County.
- Organizations that receive general support funds through the N.C. Arts Council OR the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources are not eligible for Grassroots funds.
- Individuals are not eligible to apply for Grassroots Arts funds.
- Applications and support materials must be submitted electronically by the due date.
Grassroots Arts Program money may not be used for the following kinds of expenditures:
- Art, music, and dance therapists
- Purchase artwork
- Capital expenditures
- Contingency funds
- Deficit reduction
- Fundraising events
- Food or beverages for hospitality or entertainment functions
- School band activities or equipment
- School choral activities
- Lobbying expenses
- Oral history and history projects
- Tuition for academic study
- Interest on loans, fines or litigation costs
All grantees are required to match their grant amounts dollar for dollar. The funds must come from other public or private sources. In-kind donations of goods or services may be used as matching funds.
Racial and Cultural Diversity Requirement
The N.C. Arts Council works to provide a representative portion of grant funds for arts programming that reflects the racial and cultural diversity of the state. The OCAC is required to spend 33% of its annual county allotment for programming that reflects African American, Asian American, Latino, and Native American cultures, based on the percentage of each population in Orange County.
For more information, visit Grassroots Arts Program.