Roanoke Outside Foundation is accepting applciations for its Project Outside Grant to support outdoor capital improvement projects, maintain key outdoor assets, and help launch and support businesses in the outdoor sector.
Donor Name: Roanoke Outside Foundation
Counties: Alleghany County (VA), Botetourt County (VA), Franklin County (VA), Roanoke County (VA)
Cities: Covington, Roanoke, Salem
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 01/21/2022
Size of the Grant: $500
Project Outside is a partnership between the Roanoke Outside Foundation and local land managers (i.e. local governments, ATC, NPS, etc.) of identified regional outdoor assets. Project Outside funds will be used to fill maintenance funding gaps in projects or initiatives and pool resources to tackle large-scale outdoor infrastructure projects.
Project Outside is designed to help ensure that outdoor assets remain in top condition for residents and visitors.
- Maintenance of existing identified key regional outdoor assets ($30,000 in available funding):
- Examples include tools/materials for repair, routine maintenance, repair damaged trail/greenway, fix river access points, replace damaged signage, parking lot repair, etc.
- New infrastructure projects ($12,500 in available funding):
- Examples include new trails, in-river kayak park, new river access points, signage, outdoor art, etc.
- Support of for-profit businesses or non-profit organizations operating in the outdoor sector ($7500 in available funding):
- Examples include new startup businesses, existing businesses expansion, programs to improve equitable access to the outdoors, etc.
- $500 min, no max
- This is a reimbursement grant meaning you will receive payment after the successful completion of your project. We can make other arrangements if this is not feasible for your organization.
Their goal is to make this as easy as possible. If they have a question about the eligibility of a project, give us a call or send us an email.
- Priority is given to projects that can be completed/implemented by the end of 2022.
- Grants do not require a match, however any new infrastructure applicants that have secured a match will receive priority.
- Food, marketing, giveaways, existing debt, or projects outside the defined region.
- Operational expenses, unless applying for support of an outdoor business/organization/program.
Who Can Apply?
- Applicants must be located within one of the following localities: Alleghany, Botetourt, Franklin, and Roanoke counties, cities of Covington, Roanoke, and Salem, or the town of Vinton.
- Nonprofits having an active 501(c)3 status with the IRS.
- Schools and non-profit education centers.
- County, city, or town governments located in the identified area.
- Land managers/owners of identified key regional outdoor assets.
- For-profit businesses operating in the outdoor sector and located in approved area.
- Individuals who see a need may partner with a non-profit or agency to apply. If you need a partner, let they know and they will connect you. They are required to provide a letter of support from the land manager/owner.
For more information, visit Project Outside Grant.