The purpose of this Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) is to continue development and expansion of the NIDDK Information Network (dkNET) under the direction of the dkNET Coordinating Unit (dkNET-CU).
Donor Name: National Institutes of Health (NIH)
State: All States
County: All Counties
U.S. Territories: American Samoa, Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and U.S. Virgin Islands
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $2M
Grant Duration: 5 years
The NIDDK information network (dkNET) was originally conceived in 2011 (RFA-DK-11-030) in response to community needs as biomedical research entered the Big Data era. The initial focus was on facilitating sharing of research resources that include animal models, antibodies, research reagents, experimental protocols, datasets, and tools, and related information within the NIDDK research community. A Resources Information Network (RIN) was developed that registered and organized the resources, including those obtained from NIDDK large collaborative projects, through a unique identifier called the Research Resource Identifiers, ie RRID. The RRIDs allowed research resources to be found, tracked and evaluated, and greatly enhanced research rigor and reproducibility. An information discovery portal was established that allowed users to query the RIN and be connected to the right resources.
The purpose of this Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) is to continue development and expansion of the NIDDK Information Network (dkNET) under the direction of the dkNET Coordinating Unit (dkNET-CU) dkNET supports the NIDDK community’s needs in data science by providing an information portal that connects users to data, analytical tools, and other biomedical research resources. Additionally, dkNET supports researchers by providing a hub for data-driven hypothesis generation; a suite of tools that assist users in FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) practice, and in improving rigor and reproducibility in research; and a variety of programs to enhance community engagement and workforce development. The dkNET-CU will be responsible for providing the scientific direction, vision, and administrative management to advance dkNET goals.
Scope and Objectives
- Further develop and enhance the dkNET platform
- Enhancing the Diversity of the Bioinformatics Workforce
- Partner with other NIDDK-funded programs
- NIDDK intends to commit $2M in FY 2024 to fund ONE award.
- The maximum project period is five years.
Higher Education Institutions
- Public/State Controlled Institutions of Higher Education
- Private Institutions of Higher Education
The following types of Higher Education Institutions are always encouraged to apply for NIH support as Public or Private Institutions of Higher Education:
- Hispanic-serving Institutions
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs)
- Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs)
- Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian Serving Institutions
- Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institutions (AANAPISIs)
Nonprofits Other Than Institutions of Higher Education
- Nonprofits with 501(c)(3) IRS Status (Other than Institutions of Higher Education)
- Nonprofits without 501(c)(3) IRS Status (Other than Institutions of Higher Education)
- Small Businesses
- For-Profit Organizations (Other than Small Businesses)
- State Governments
- County Governments
- City or Township Governments
- Special District Governments
- Indian/Native American Tribal Governments (Federally Recognized)
- Indian/Native American Tribal Governments (Other than Federally Recognized)
- Eligible Agencies of the Federal Government
- U.S. Territory or Possession
- Independent School Districts
- Public Housing Authorities/Indian Housing Authorities
- Native American Tribal Organizations (other than Federally recognized tribal governments)
- Faith-based or Community-based Organizations
- Regional Organizations
- Non-domestic (non-U.S.) Entities (Foreign Institutions) are not eligible to apply.
- Non-domestic (non-U.S.) components of U.S. Organizations are not eligible to apply.
For more information, visit Grants.gov.