Heritage Tourism Planning Grants are intended to help promote and enhance visitor experiences at New Jersey’s many unique historic, cultural, and natural assets.
Donor Name: New Jersey Historic Trust
State: New Jersey
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $5,000 to $75,000
Grants are available to promote site interpretation; to create links among sites; to assess visitor-readiness; to establish performance evaluation systems; and to provide training initiatives, workshops, and educational activities that foster the goals and objectives of the New Jersey Heritage Tourism Plan. Project proposals that link to broader heritage tourism plans or initiatives are encouraged.
Heritage Tourism grant requests may range from $5,000 to $75,000. Grant applicants are eligible for a 3:1 funding match in which the Trust may provide up to 75% of total project costs, not to exceed $75,000. The applicant must demonstrate the ability to match 25% of the total project cost for which the grant is requested.
The following activities are eligible for a heritage tourism planning grant for one or multiple sites:
- Visitor-readiness assessments;
- Visitor evaluations and/or development of performance evaluation measures;
- Interpretive planning for one or multiple sites and/or to develop and enhance linkages between sites;
- Design and fabrication of interpretive signage or literature;
- Marketing plans and studies;
- Design and fabrication of marketing materials; and
- Training and workshops, including speaker honoraria, that create, foster, or enhance linkages between sites.
The following organizations or groups are eligible to apply for grants through this program:
- Agencies or entities of county government
- Agencies or entities of municipal government
- Agencies or entities of state government
- Nonprofit organizations organized under the New Jersey Nonprofit Corporation Act that qualify for tax-exempt status under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue code (26 U.S.C. 501 (c)). Nonprofit applicants must include documentation of their Federal tax-exempt status and registration with the State.
- Nonprofit organizations are not eligible to apply for projects that benefit churches and houses of worship.
For Heritage Tourism grants, at least one resource involved in the project must be either:
- Individually listed in the NJ or National Register of Historic Places
- Contributing resource to a historic district listed in the NJ or National Register OR
- Certified eligible for listing by the Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer.
For more information, visit NJHT.