Gratiot County Community Foundation is seeking applications for its Competitive Grants which will improve the quality of life for the citizens.
Donor Name: Gratiot County Community Foundation
County: Gratiot County (MI)
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 02/01/2022
Size of the Grant: $10,000
Grant Duration: 2 years
The Gratiot County Community Foundation is interested in funding projects which will improve the quality of life for the citizens of Gratiot County. The Foundation aims to support creative approaches to community needs and problems which will benefit the widest possible range of people.
A. In reviewing grant applications, the Foundation will give careful consideration to:
- The ability of the organization to provide ongoing funding of the project after the term of the grant has expired (sustainability of the project).
- The potential impact of the request and the number of people who will benefit.
- An imaginative and innovative approach.
- The extent of local volunteers and support of the project.
- The extent of encouragement and collaboration with other organizations.
- The approval and commitment of the grant seekers’ Board of Trustees or Directors.
- The organization’s fiscal responsibility and management qualifications.
- The organization’s efforts to seek challenge or matching funds from other sources.
- The ability of the organization to obtain the necessary additional funding to implement and maintain the project.
- The clarity and completeness of the application. This is key in the consideration process and the applicant should take care to include all information necessary for the Foundation to make an informed decision.
B. In order to make the best use of available funds, the Foundation usually will not award grants for the following, unless designated by the donor:
- Annual fundraising;
- Operating expenses.
- Foundation grants focus on program related expenses, however, salaries and other operating expenses directly related to program delivery may be considered on a caseby-case basis;
- Religious or sectarian purposes;
- Political purposes;
- Multi-year funding (i.e., a grant paid out over two or more consecutive years. An extension of an existing grant does not constitute multi-year funding; and
- Projects that have been completed.
- Eligible projects generally fall within the following categories: community development, arts and culture, environment, education, health and wellness, social services, youth projects, recreation and improvement in the physical, mental and moral conditions of Gratiot County residents.
- The Foundation will accept grant applications from the Gratiot County area. Applications from outside the County will only be considered if adequate funds are available and a significant number of persons from Gratiot County will be served.
- Applicants shall be non-profit tax exempt according to Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The Foundation operates without discrimination as to age, race, gender, national origin, marital status, religion, or disability and will award grants only to applicants which do not discriminate on the same basis.
- Organizations interested in applying are encouraged to discuss their project with the Foundation Executive Director prior to submitting an application. If the project meets the eligibility criteria and is consistent with the Foundation’s program interests, a formal application will be furnished to the applicant. The Distribution Committee meets three times per year to review funding requests. The Board of Directors will make the final decision. The Foundation reserves the right to request additional information about the organization, the project and additional financial details.
- Applications for programs previously receiving grant funding will be considered during the subsequent grant cycle; provided, that:
- The applicant shall have documented the proper expenditure of all initial grant funds;
- The applicant shall have filed a final outcome report, as required by the initial grant; and
- Such application shall be considered without preference, in the same manner as all other applications.
- Grant funds will be distributed upon receipt and approval of the Final Outcome Report, project budget, supporting receipts for expenditures and photos at the end of one year or upon completion of the project.
- Grants of $10,000 or more will receive a 50% advance distribution at the time the grant is awarded.
- Progress Reports may be required depending on the dollar amount and the length of the project. The specific conditions requiring a Progress Report will be defined in the grant agreement.
For more information, visit Competitive Grants.