Donor Name: Washington State Department of Agriculture
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 01/31/2022
Size of the Grant: $30,000
Grant Duration: 6 months
The purpose of the program is to reduce food waste by capturing donated food, provide food to those who need it, and build relationships between hunger relief organizations and agricultural producers, processors and distributors.
FTFB funds must only be used for the costs associated with harvesting, processing, packaging, or transporting agricultural commodities donated by agricultural producers, processors and distributors. These funds cannot be used to purchase foods or support agricultural production activities (e.g., purchasing seeds or planting crops). Additionally, these funds may not be used for costs associated with handling USDA Foods provided for distribution through TEFAP.
All food resulting from FTFB projects must distributed through TEFAP Contractors or Subcontractors via food pantries or meal programs currently receiving TEFAP commodities.
WSDA will be awarding a minimum of $30,000 for each project selected, with a total of $142,000 available. Advanced payment is not allowed, awardees will be funded on a reimbursement basis, through monthly invoicing with backup documentation. Grant recipients should consider their financial capacity to pay project costs up-front, with reimbursements requested on a monthly basis.
- Project start date: April 1, 2022
- Projects complete: October 31, 2022
WSDA is limiting awards to the following activities:
- Harvest Support: Gleaning Supplies (crates, orchard harvest bags, harvest knives, orchard ladders, etc.), produce washing stations, gleaning coordinator salary, as well as producers’ costs of picking and packing agriculture agricultural products.
- Processing: Commercial kitchen rental fees, outsourced processing costs, processing supplies (containers, dehydrators, blenders, vacuum sealer, etc.), and Individual Quick Frozen (IQF) expenses.
- Packaging: produce bags, clamshells, pint containers, and twist ties/ rubber bands.
- Transportation: Refrigeration, vehicles, mileage, and trucking costs.
Organizations applying to this grant must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be a tribe, public agency, or 501(c)3 in operation for 12 or more consecutive months.
- Registered as a Statewide Vendor for the State of Washington within 30 days of award.
- Have a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number, and registered with the System for Award Management (SAM) within 30 days of award.
- Registered as a corporation with the Washington Secretary of State.
- Must not be presently debarred, suspended, proposed for debarment, and declared ineligible or voluntarily excluded in any Federal or State department, or agency from participating in transactions.
For more information, visit WSDA.