The New & Experimental Works (NEW) Program provides unrestricted and artist fee to support small and mid-size dance, theater and multidisciplinary arts organizations that enable Bay Area artists to produce visionary projects relevant to the communities they serve.
Donor Name: Kenneth Rainin Foundation
County: Selected Counties
City: San Francisco and Oakland
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $5,000-$30,000
Grant Duration: 24 months
The NEW Program prioritizes:
- Small and mid-size arts organizations with annual budgets of $10,000-$2 million
- Projects that support artists to deepen or experiment within their individual practice and/or expand the boundaries of dance and theater
- Compelling projects relevant to the communities they serve
- Unique artistic collaborations
- Projects that compensate artists at a significant level. Projects are required to designate at least half of the grant funds to the artistic project team and their direct expenses for creating the work. The remaining half is unrestricted to the applicant organization
- Productions in outdoor, site-specific or alternative venues with activities in San Francisco and Oakland.
Grants range from $5,000–$30,000.
Project activities must take place within the 24-month grant period, January 1, 2024-December 31, 2026. Performances must have production dates after January 1, 2024. The developmental phase of projects may begin prior to the start of the grant period.
The Foundation accepts applications from applicants that meet the following criteria.
- Tax status: Nonprofit organizations or 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsors (requires a written agreement).
- Geography: Organizations must be based in and/or have a demonstrated history of operating in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo or Santa Clara counties. The Foundation prioritizes support for projects that take place in San Francisco and Oakland.
- Artist residency: The majority of artists supported by the project must be based in and/or have a demonstrated history of producing and working in in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo or Santa Clara counties. Artists supported through the grant are not required to currently reside in one of the eligible Bay Area counties.
- Annual budget: Organizations must have at least a $10,000 annual budget for their last closed fiscal year.
- For applicants that don’t meet minimum budget requirement: If your last closed fiscal year budget does not meet this requirement, but you have had an annual budget of at least $10,000 within the last three years, please submit that prior year budget with your application.
For more information, visit KRF.