The New Jersey Historic Trust is requesting applications for its Capital Grant Program (Level I & II).
Donor Name: New Jersey Historic Trust
State: New Jersey
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $5,000 – $750,000
The Mission of the Trust is to advance historic preservation in New Jersey for the benefit of future generations through education, stewardship and financial investment programs that save their heritage and strengthen communities. The Trust also provides financial support, protection, and technical assistance through its programs.
Capital Preservation Grants are intended to assist with construction expenses related to the preservation, restoration, and rehabilitation of historic properties and associated non-construction expenses.
Capital Grant Program encourages careful planning for the restoration, rehabilitation and preservation of a variety of historic resources. Through its matching requirements, the program stimulates broader support and participation in these historic preservation projects.
- Capital Level I Grant requests may range from $5,000 to $150,000. There is a 3:2 match, meaning that for every $3 in grant requests the applicant must provide at least $2 in matching funds.
- For example, if the grant request is $120,000 the applicant must match that with another $80,000, making a total budget of $200,000.
- Capital Level II Grant requests may range from $150,001 to $750,000. There is a 1:1 match, meaning the applicant must provide at least $1 in matching funds for every $1 of grant money requested.
- For example, if the grant request is $500,000, the applicant must match that with another $500,000, making a total budget of $1,000,000.
- Preservation, Rehabilitation, or Restoration
- Alternative barrier-free access
- New construction
- Project sign
- Interpretive or directional signs, plaques or literature
- Certain non-construction activities
- Multi-Phase Funding Commitments.
The following organizations or groups are eligible to apply for grants through this program:
- Agencies or entities of county government
- Agencies or entities of municipal government
- Agencies or entities of state government
- Nonprofit organizations organized under the New Jersey Nonprofit Corporation Act that qualify for tax-exempt status under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue code (26 U.S.C. 501 (c)). Nonprofit applicants must include documentation of their Federal tax-exempt status and registration with the State.
- Nonprofit organizations are not eligible to apply for projects that benefit churches and houses of worship.
To be eligible for a grant, a property must be listed in, or eligible to be listed in, the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and/or the National Register of Historic Places per N.J.A.C. 7:4 as follows, by August 1, 2023:
- Individually listed in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and/or the National Register of Historic Places;
- Situated within the boundaries of a historic district listed in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and/or the National Register of Historic Places, and identified in the National Register of Historic Places Registration Form inventory as a resource contributing to the significance of that district; or
- Certified by the State Historic Preservation Office as a property that is eligible to be listed in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places, or that meets the criteria to be listed in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places.
- Though a property need only be certified eligible for listing in order to apply for funding, listing is required prior to the disbursement of capital grant funds.
For more information, visit NJHT.