Tygart Valley United Way is seeking applications for the education, health, and financial stability of every person in their community. That is only possible through meaningful partnerships with local non-profit agencies.
Donor Name: Tygart Valley United Way
State: West Virginia
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Each year, a committee of community volunteers reviews agency applications and recommends agencies to their Board of Directors for funding.
- The agency must have attended mandatory Application Information Session, which was held on January 10, 2023;
- The agency must be a local non-profit organization with federal tax-exempt status under IRS code 501(C)(3);other non-profit organizations may be considered if other requirements are met;
- The agency’s management must be vested in a soundly constituted volunteer Board of Directors, large enough to be properly representative, which meets at least quarterly, and which in actual fact, assumes the responsibility and accountability to the public for the governance of the agency;
- The agency must render a service which meets a demonstrated human need; its programs must be of quality and quantity which will justify present and proposed expenditures; its hours of service must be such to meet the needs of the people served; its facilities must be adequate for the purpose for which they are maintained; intake policy and limit of service, geographic and otherwise, must be clearly defined;
- The agency must have adequate liability insurance coverage for organization, staff, board, and volunteers;
- The agency must provide services without discrimination based on race, sex, creed, age, color, sexual orientation, handicap, or national origin;
- The agency shall use only those methods of securing other income which are in accord with United Way’s policy on Supplemental Fundraising;
- Organizations with $250,000 or more in annual revenue, as reported on the IRS Form 990, are required to submit an annual audit of fiscal operations by an independent certified public accountant in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS). The audited financial statements and IRS Form 990 cover the same fiscal period that ended not more than 18 months prior to January 2023 (i.e. ending on or after June 30, 2021).
- Organizations with total revenue $100,000 to $249,999 in annual revenue, as reported on the IRS Form 990, can elect to submit a full audit or Financial Review completed by an independent certified public accountant in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS). The audit or financial review and IRS Form 990 cover the same fiscal period that ended not more than 18 months prior to January 2023 (i.e. ending on or after June 30, 2021);
- Organizations with a total revenue under $100,000 in annual revenue, as reported on the IRS Form 990, can elect to submit a compilation of profit and loss statements for the most recent 12 months, along with a letter certifying the statements by someone in fiscal governance with the authority to legally bind the organization;
- The agency shall cooperate with other agencies in preventing a duplication of effort and in promoting effective service, efficiency and economy of administration;
- The agency must utilize all opportunities to inform the public of the mutual values of United Way agency relationships to the community and to identify itself in every practical manner as a recipient of community support through the United Way through display of United Way insignia on its property, offices, stationary, publications, and through other procedures that would be mutually beneficial in the promotion of United Way;
- The agency must have a plan for organization and operation which is satisfactory to the United Way, operate on a sound financial basis and maintain an adequate system of records and reports covering both its services and finances;
- The agency must make effective use of volunteers, wherever possible, consistent with its program;
- If the agency employs staff, they must be qualified by training and/or experience to carry on an effective program;
- The agency must be registered with the Secretary of State of West Virginia and must file all applicable forms with the state and IRS.
For more information, visit Tygart Valley United Way.