Western Lane Community Foundation awards grants to local non-profit organizations for projects and programs in its target area of western Lane County. Grants are awarded in the areas of education, medicine and science, the arts and social and civic services.
Donor Name: Western Lane Community Foundation
County: Lane County (OR)
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 01/15/2022
Size of the Grant: $100 to $5,000
The Western Lane Community Foundation( WLCF) was established in 1974 as a community trust, and a private, non-profit organization. The mission of WLCF is to attract, administer and distribute private charitable funds for the benefit of all residents within the borders of the Siuslaw and Mapleton School Districts. WLCF assets consist of a growing number of permanent funds established by individuals and corporate donors. Through these resources WLCF supports non-profit organizations by providing annual grants that help sustain and enhance the quality of life in Western Lane County, generally in the broad areas of Culture, Medicine/Science, Education and Social/Civic Service.
The WLCF Board of Directors has recently updated its guidelines and application for annual grants. It is the intention of WLCF to allocate grant awards that are large enough to make a significant and visible impact on a demonstrated need, rather than scatter token support among numerous organizations.
In approving grant funds, the Foundation gives preference to projects that meet the following criteria:
- Projects or programs aimed at providing needed services or facilities for which public funds are either not available or are not sufficient,
- Projects or programs which can be significantly impacted by WLCF funds either alone or in conjunction with other support.
- Programs which actively contribute to the cultural, economic, educational, or social betterment of their community by addressing the source of a major problem(s) rather than simply managing their continuing effect upon their society.
The amount available for distribution each year varies based on the performance of the invested portfolio of discretionary funds. Grant requests and awards vary greatly in amount, with a range from $100.00 to around $5,000, depending on the nature of the grant project and funds available for distribution.
Generally, grants will not be made to organizations for the following purposes:
- Emergency Funding
- Travel to or in support of conferences
- Debt retirement or operating deficits
- Annual fund drives or operating expenses and/or administration, i.e., rent, and salaries, except during a startup period not to exceed three years
- Sectarian religious purposes (does not preclude consideration of requests for cultural, educational, medical, or social service-oriented programs open to all community members undertaken by church-affiliated or supported agencies)
- Programs relying on federal or tax dollars for their principal support unless requested for innovative pilot or demonstration programs for which public funding is not available
For more information, visit Western Lane Community Foundation Grant.