The Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission administers a Certified Local Government (CLG) Grant Program for municipal historical preservation activities.
Donor Name: Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission
State: Rhode Island
City/Town: Bristol, Coventry, Cranston, Cumberland, East Greenwich, East Providence, Glocester, Hopkinton, Narragansett, New Shoreham, Newport, North Kingstown, North Providence, North Smithfield, Pawtucket, Providence, South Kingstown, and Warwick
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 01/21/2022
Grants will support projects within the following categories: Identification and Evaluation of Historic Resources, Planning Activities, Resource-Specific Activities, Public Education Activities, and Statewide Projects.
Three funding priorities will merit special consideration. Grant proposals that are responsive to these specific priorities will receive extra points in our scoring and review process. These include:
- Projects that help communities plan for protecting historic resources from the effects of climate change and sea level rise.
- Projects that promote the recognition or preservation of resources associated with historically underrepresented groups.
- Projects that will provide training opportunities for historic district commissions and municipal planning staff.
Examples of such projects include:
- Survey/re-survey of areas and existing historic districts that are endangered by sea-level rise and natural disasters.
- Coastal resiliency plans or hazard mitigation plans for historic resources.
- Survey and evaluation of sites associated with the history and cultural heritage of underrepresented Rhode Islanders.
- Nomination of properties associated with underrepresented communities to the National Register of Historic Places.
- Sponsorship and hosting of training opportunities that address topics of concern to historic district commissions.
Cities and towns with Certified Local Government status are eligible to apply. The following eighteen Rhode Island communities are Certified Local Governments: Bristol, Coventry, Cranston, Cumberland, East Greenwich, East Providence, Glocester, Hopkinton, Narragansett, New Shoreham, Newport, North Kingstown, North Providence, North Smithfield, Pawtucket, Providence, South Kingstown, and Warwick. CLG municipalities may also apply for grants on behalf of local non-profit organizations.
For more information, visit CLG Grants.