The Union County Board of County Commissioners, recognizing the importance of culture, history and the arts, established the HEART Grant Program to encourage a thriving environment for the arts and cultural activities.
Donor Name: Union County Office of Cultural and Heritage Affairs
State: New Jersey
County: Union County (NJ)
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant:
- Individuals: $1,000
- Organizations: $3,000
This program serves as a catalyst to strengthen Union County’s non-profit organizations, artists and scholars, enhancing their capacity to provide innovative projects relating to history, the arts and humanities, developing Union County as a center for innovation and excellence in arts and culture.
Projects funded under the Union County HEART Grant Program must directly benefit Union County residents and increase appreciation for Union County history, the arts and humanities, demonstrating that cultural assets are a vital part of community life, education and well-being, economic development and cultural heritage tourism.
The Union County Board of County Commissioners will give paramount consideration to projects that:
- showcase Union County-based arts or historical resources
- engage County residents of all ages
- encourage participation by Union County’s diverse populations in all aspects of arts, history and cultural activities within the county
- are submitted by new applicants or that propose new projects
- Individuals may request a maximum of $1,000 (no cash match required).
- Organizations may request a maximum of $3,000.
Eligible programs and projects may include, but are not limited to:
- performances, lectures, exhibitions, workshops, demonstrations
- arts- or history-in-education projects
- educational projects that focus on Union County or local history
- programs promoting cultural diversity and ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) assistive services: sign or audio interpretation, rental of listening devices, large print programs, etc.
- programs for underserved populations (youth, seniors, special needs)
- Applicants must be Union County-based non-profit organizations, units of local government, libraries, and individual artists and scholars who live in Union County.
- Programs and projects must occur in Union County.
- Organizations must have tax exemption status under Section 501 (c) (3) or (c) (4) of the Internal Revenue Code or be pending same. One copy of your IRS letter of / determination must be included with the application package containing the original signature page.
- Colleges and other educational or religious institutions are eligible if the proposed activity is open to the general public and is separate from religious observance.
- Individuals may apply for funds to support projects that benefit the Union County public. Grant funds exceeding $600 received by individuals in any one year are taxable and must be reported to the IRS in the year they are received.
- Grants will be awarded to support specific public programs or projects only and not for general operating support.
- NEW: If your organization has applied for funding from the 2024 Union County Local Arts Program (LAP), you are NOT eligible to apply for a 2024 HEART Grant.
- Past recipients who plan to present the same project must explain why this project should be funded again.
Grant funds may not be used for:
- general administrative salaries
- scholarships or prizes
- purchase of artwork or artifacts
- capital improvements
- hospitality costs (food and beverages) However, these expenses can be used to fulfill Cash Match requirements
- reimbursement of deficits
- assembly type programs or fashion shows
- fundraising events for non-arts/history organizations
For more information, visit Union County.