Mecklenburg County Public Health is soliciting applications for their Fiscal Year 2022 Grassroots SEED Grant. Applicants are encouraged to apply to receive funding for initiatives/programs that impact rates of chronic disease in Mecklenburg County.
State: North Carolina
County: Mecklenburg County (NC)
Type of Grant: Seed Money or Start-up Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 12/20/2021
Size of the Grant: $20,000
Grant Duration: 5 months
The purpose of this funding opportunity is to provide grassroots capacity-building resources and programming to community-based organizations. These organizations will address chronic disease prevention and/or management in communities experiencing health disparities, especially in Mecklenburg County Public Health (MCPH) Priority Areas. These areas are linked with higher rates of chronic diseases, infectious diseases and deaths related to these conditions.
February 1, 2022 – June 30, 2022
SEED Grant** – community-based organizations applying for this funding could be awarded up to $20,000 per organization.
**If your organization was awarded FY21 MCPH Grassroots Funding, you will not be eligible for a SEED grant this fiscal year.
Examples of approved areas of funding
- Capacity-Building Resources
- One-on-One or group training for the organization, whether face-to-face or virtual where capacity building activities center around chronic disease prevention and/or management
- New technological innovations, IT systems or platforms can be purchased to help organization strengthen infrastructure
- Communication campaigns to change public opinion and raise public awareness on chronic disease management/prevention
- Walk or Bike audits/assessments
Program resources for chronic disease prevention and/or management
- Curricula development
- Training materials for community members on a specific area of chronic disease prevention and/or management
- Health-related signage (Tobacco-Free, physical activity, healthy eating, etc.)
- Virtual/in-person healthy cooking classes
- Virtual/in-person physical activity classes
- Program supplies and educational materials:
- Health-related displays and models
- Measuring cups
- Water bottles
- Yoga mats
- Tobacco Quit kits
- Equipment (under $5,000 per item)
- Program promotion/marketing
- Printing costs
Grant Eligibility Requirements
- Applicant is doing local, grassroots work in Mecklenburg County
- Applicant is volunteer-driven or has no more than 10 full-time paid staff
- Applicant must be an organization with a tax ID, either business (corporation, partnership, or sole proprietor) or non-profit. Individuals may not apply.
- Must be an active vendor with the County or by the time funds are awarded.
- Grant funds MUST focus on chronic disease prevention and/or management.
- Grant funds must target the county’s Public Health Priority Area Zip Codes
- Zip codes included are 28205, 28206, 28208, 28212, 28216, 28217
For more information, visit Grassroots SEED Grant.