The Big Sky Economic Development Trust Fund Program (BSTF) Planning funds are awarded to eligible applicants to assist with economic development planning efforts that promote long-term, stable economic growth in Montana.
Donor Name: Montana Department of Commerce
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $25,000
The Big Sky Economic Development Trust Fund (BSTF) program is a state-funded program created by the 2005 Legislature. The program’s legislative purpose (Section 90-1-202, MCA) is to assist in economic development for Montana that will:
- Create good-paying jobs for Montana residents.
- Promote long-term, stable economic growth in Montana.
- Encourage local economic development organizations.
- Create partnerships between the state, local governments, tribal governments, and local economic development organizations that are interested in pursuing these same economic development goals.
- Retain or expand existing businesses.
- Provide a better life for future generations through greater economic growth and prosperity in Montana.
- Encourage workforce development, including workforce training and job creation, in High Poverty Counties by providing targeted assistance.
- Manufacturing ammunition components is a qualified economic development purpose.
It is encouraged that applicants provide match to BSTF dollars requested. Match should be new, unexpended cash funds available at the time of application that will be invested in the final deliverable by the CRDC, Tribal government, the assisted business and/or other involved organizations within the contract period. In general, the Department will award up to $1 for every $1 in documented matching funds up to a total of $25,000 in BSTF funding.
Planning funding is awarded for economic development planning activities in Montana for the following activities:
- Support for business improvement districts.
- Central business district redevelopment.
- Industrial development.
- Feasibility studies.
- Creation and maintenance of baseline community profiles.
- Matching funds for federal funds.
- Preproduction costs for film or media.
- Administrative expenses.
Eligible applicants include: Certified Regional Development Corporations (CRDCs) for projects within their regions, local governments and Tribal governments for projects within their regions, (Local or Tribal governments must provide a resolution supporting the project or an official letter from the Tribal Chair or President authorizing the application to the program), and Local Development Organizations (LDOs) located in counties not part of a CRDC region. LDOs must meet program requirements for eligibility.
For more information, visit Montana Department of Commerce.