The Strategic Demolition Fund (SDF) is a program that invests in pre-development activities that accelerate economic development and job production in Maryland’s Sustainable Communities.
Donor Name: Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development
County: Allegany County (MD), Garrett County (MD), Somerset County (MD), and Wicomico County (MD)
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $250,000
The program aims to improve the economic viability of “grey field development” which often faces more barriers than sprawling “green field development.” Since funds are limited, awards will focus on those projects that can have a high economic and revitalization impact in their existing communities.
Project awards are anticipated to average $250,000. Funds from the SDF program can be used for, but are not limited to, the following pre-development activities:
- Demolition of derelict non-contributing structures.
- Site acquisition and assembly to create redevelopment-sized parcels for solicitation or planned development.
- Site development/infrastructure improvements.
- Construction-level architectural and engineering designs.
- Stabilization of buildings to stay further deterioration and prepare properties for rehabilitation and reuse.
Eligible projects include:
- Demolition of derelict non-contributing structures
- Site acquisition and assembly to create redevelopment-sized parcels for solicitation or planned development
- Site development
- Construction-level architectural and engineering designs
Lead applicants for Strategic Demolition Fund – Statewide are:
- Local governments working outside of Baltimore City
- Nonprofit Community Development Organizations working outside of Baltimore City
- Opportunity Zones in Allegany, Garrett, Somerset, and Wicomico Counties.
For more information, visit MDHCD.