Donor Name: Texas State Library and Archives Commission
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $88,000
The Family Place Libraries Training Institute (Family Place) provides theoretical grounding and practical training for library staff in family-centered library services. By expanding the traditional role of children’s services, Family Place participants build on the knowledge that good health, early learning, parent or guardian involvement, and supportive communities play a critical role in young children’s growth and development.
Family Place participants will be able to create the network that families need to nurture their children’s development during the critical first years of life. Family Place provides training and resources to help participants redesign their library environment to:
- Create a welcoming and developmentally appropriate environment for children beginning at birth.
- Connect parents with the resources, programs and services offered at the library and other family service agencies.
- Connect with non-traditional library users.
- Ensure children have access to resources that will allow them to enter school ready and able to learn.
- Approximately $88,000.00 is expected to be available for the Family Place grants, subject to approval by the TSLAC governing body and the availability of funds.
- Up to ten (10) libraries may be chosen to participate in the TSLAC-sponsored Family Place Libraries Project and may receive the following:
- Paid tuition for a maximum of two (2) staff members from the participating library to attend Family Place training.
- A one-time travel stipend of up to $700 per person to include travel within Texas, incidentals (transportation, shuttle, tolls, parking fees, etc.), and meals not provided at Family Place Training.
- A one-time sub-award up to $6,000 to establish a family space and learning environment in the library as outlined in the Family Place training.
- Funds will be disbursed on a reimbursement basis.
- Funds must be encumbered by July 31, 2024.
- This program may provide one-time funding dispersed as a travel stipend and will fund expenses for:
- Travel within Texas, incidentals (transportation, shuttle, tolls, parking fees, etc.), and meals not provided at Family Place Training in order to facilitate attendance at the Family Place Libraries Training Institute at Round Rock Public Library (Round Rock, Texas). Please note the following regarding the Family Place travel stipend:
- Rates for meals and incidentals.
- All mileage must be verified by Google maps showing any needed car travel and must fall within GSA per diem limits.
- Participating libraries located within the Austin MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) may not be eligible to receive a travel stipend.
Eligibility to apply requires the following:
- Through their governing authority, accredited public libraries are eligible to apply for funds.
- Public library applicants must be accredited by TSLAC for the current state fiscal year.
- Participants are library staff members.
For more information, visit TSLAC.