The City of Knoxville is seeking applications for its 2023 Downtown Façade Improvement Grant Program.
Donor Name: City of Knoxville
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: up to $10,000
The City of Knoxville is engaged in a comprehensive downtown revitalization process. A key element of the Revitalization Program involves the re-creation of Historic Downtown Knoxville. Many small Iowa cities have chosen this path and have seen many improvements in the appearance and image of their downtowns, increased civic pride, visitation, consumer spending, business investment and property values.
Rehabilitation of Downtown’s commercial buildings and returning their upper stories to productive use plays a key role in this revitalization strategy. To this end, the City has created a Downtown Façade Improvement Grant Program to assist building owners in restoring the original brick facades of their buildings.
Maximum award in the form of matching 50% reimbursement grants up to $10,000 are available.
Downtown Façade Grants can be used to reimburse award recipients for the following costs:
- Removal of metal, vinyl, or wood siding that has been used to cover the original brick façade and any added structural elements to support such siding;
- Repairs to the original façade;
- Repairs to existing cornices, pediments, or coping;
- Replacement of, or repairs to, front entry stairs;
- Installation, repair, or replacement of entry ramps for the mobility impaired if appropriate;
- Replacement of exterior doors;
- Replacement of main floor and upper storey windows;
- The addition of new, or the replacement of existing, awnings;
- The removal, replacement, or repair of storefront canopies;
- The addition of artistic building signage which is compatible with the building and the period that it was built in (see attached photographic examples), including:
- Decorative vertical signage attached to the front façade;
- pedestrian scale signage located underneath an awning or canopy; or
- Refurbishment or replacement of existing sign bars with exterior accent lighting.
- Installation, repair, or replacement of exterior stairs to upper storey housing, where such stairs are required to meet the local building and fire codes;
- Installation, repair, or replacement of exterior accent lighting designed to highlight the storefront;
- Exterior facade painting where appropriate; and
- Design, Architectural or Engineering fees as needed to undertake the project.
Downtown commercial building owners who are intending to improve their facades now have an opportunity to apply to the City for financial assistance.
- Any owner of an eligible building can submit an application for Downtown Façade Grants.
- Building tenants will be allowed to make an application on the Building Owner’s behalf if the Owner has agreed in writing for the work to be undertaken at the cost of the Building Tenant.
For more information, visit City of Knoxville.