Donor Name: Neal Peirce Foundation
State: All States
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: up to $1,500
The foundation invites full-time freelancers as well as journalists currently employed by a news organization to apply. In 2023, the foundation anticipates awarding up to seven travel grants.
- The travel grants of up to $1,500 enable journalists to travel to cities within the U.S. to produce one or more stories for publication.
- The awards, selected through a competitive review process, cover travel expenses necessary for on-the-ground reporting.
Eligibility & Expectations
- Reporters, writers, editors, and photographers working in print, online, radio, television and multimedia are eligible for travel grant awards if they have had stories published or aired in the previous 3 years.
- They especially welcome applicants early in their journalism careers or from backgrounds underrepresented in today’s news media.
- Timing: The expectation is that travel will occur within three months of award receipt, and the story will be submitted to the pitched outlet within three months of travel ending.
- Geography: Travel must be within the U.S., and can be local or long distance, and by any means of reasonable transport (bus, rail, air, auto, etc.).
- Promotion: It is expected that stories produced with a grant will briefly mention the Peirce Foundation’s support for the project at the end. Grant recipients are expected to promote the story from their social media accounts and may be asked to participate in Foundation efforts to publicize the availability and impact of Journalism Travel Grants in the future.
For more information, visit Neal Peirce Foundation.