The City of Dallas provides a repair and rehabilitation program for single-family, owner-occupied housing units. The Home Improvement and Preservation Program (HIPP) offers qualified homeowners two different ways to improve their homes through a forgivable loan or zero-interest loan based on the program the homeowner qualifies for.
Donor Name: City of Dallas
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $73,170
HIPP is designed to finance home improvements and address health, safety, accessibility modification, reconstruction and structural/deferred maintenance deficiencies. HIPP enables homeowners to improve their housing while creating a positive effect in the community.
HIPP offers two programs: Major Home Rehabilitation and Home Reconstruction.
- Major Home Rehabilitation Program: The level of assistance for the Major Home Rehabilitation Program is limited to the amount required to address the rehabilitation work scope as defined by the city. This involves a zero-interest forgivable loan to the homeowner that won’t exceed the maximum allowable funding level of $73,170.
- Home Reconstruction Program: Home Reconstruction Program provides the homeowner with a new home on their current property and assistance is provided in the form of a loan. The homeowner must certify annually the home is not for sale and is their primary residence until the loan is repaid to the city in full. This program is by referral only by city staff.
- Major Rehabilitation Program
- The maximum assistance amount provided is up to $73,170 in the form of a forgivable loan. The City loan is secured by a first or second lien on the property. The affordability period for the Rehab Program is ten (10) years.
- Housing Reconstruction Program
- The maximum assistance provided under this program shall not exceed seventy five percent (75%) of the HUD HOME Value Limits for new construction and is in the form a loan. The City loan is secured by a first lien on the property. Homeowners with existing mortgages do not qualify for this program. Homeowners must be willing to relocate at their own expense. The affordability period for the program is fifteen (15) years.
- The homeowner must have clear title to the property and have owned the home for at least six (6) months before applying.
- The property must be the homeowner’s primary residence.
- The homeowner must not be delinquent in the payment of property taxes or must have an active, non-delinquent payment plan with the county tax office, and may not have any liens on the property, except those associated with a first mortgage.
- The home must be located within city limits of Dallas, Texas.
- The homeowner must demonstrate they can obtain standard property insurance satisfactory to the City and will maintain it for the term of the loan.
- Priority for all programs will be given to homeowners who have never participated in a City home repair program. Homes that have been reconstructed by the City will not be eligible for further assistance.
For more information, visit HIPP.