The Individual Artist Commission Grant is intended to support the creation of a new work that engages the community through an artist’s creative process.
Donor Name: New York State Council on the Arts
State: New York
Counties: Erie County (NY), Chautauqua County (NY), Niagara County (NY)
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $1,000 and $2,500
Grant Duration: 12 months
Artists of all disciplines residing in Erie, Niagara, and Chautauqua counties are eligible to apply for this grant for community-based projects. The goal of this grant is to support the creative work of individual artists, encourage interaction between artists and county residents, and highlight the role of the artist as a community resource.
The goals of the Individual Artist grant include:
- Providing quality arts/cultural projects to Erie, Niagara, or Chautauqua County
- Increasing the support for local artist-initiated activity.
- Highlighting the role of artists as important members of the community, through involvement of the community in the creation process.
- Supporting cultural expression of their diverse ethnic groups.
- Making arts/cultural programming accessible to under-resourced or marginalized audiences, and economically disadvantaged communities.
This project is intended to expand, promote, and increase arts and cultural programming at the local level including, but not limited to, projects in the following areas: Dance, Design Arts, Folk Arts, Humanities, Literature/Poetry, Media (film, video, radio), Music, Opera/Musical Theater, Photography, Skilled Crafts, Textile or Fiber Arts, Theater, Visual Arts, and Multi-Disciplinary programs.
- Requests can be made between $1,000 and $2,500.
- Projects occurring between July 1, 2023-June 30, 2024.
Eligible applications must meet the following requirements:
- Projects have, as their core, an arts-based or cultural activity that takes place within one year of receiving your grant payment.
- Applicants must be an individual residing in Erie, Niagara, or Chautauqua County.
- All project activities must take place in the same county in which you reside.
- Applicants must be at least eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- Projects must include the creation of new works in any artistic discipline that serve the community.
- Projects should advance the artistry or career of the artist and/or the art form in the region.
- Projects should reflect the life and/or culture of the artist or the artist’s community. This is critical for helping the community to gain access to and understand your art.
- Projects must engage a segment of the community through some form of feedback, response, interaction, and/or presentation.
For more information, visit Individual Artist Commission Grant.