The Next Step Fund, funded by the McKnight Foundation, provides project grants up to $5,000 to artists in any discipline for the purpose of research, career development and/or artistic achievement. Applicants may be at any stage in their career, but must demonstrate a history of activity in their artistic field. Individuals must have a primary residential address in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, or Washington county.
Donor Name: Metropolitan Regional Arts Council
Counties: Anoka County (MN), Carver County (MN), Dakota County (MN), Hennepin County (MN), Ramsey County (MN), Scott County (MN), Washington County (MN)
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 01/10/2022
Size of the Grant: $5,000
This grant is designed to enable individual artists to learn new professional or artistic skills, conduct planning and research for creative projects, increase their public visibility or reach, and/or produce new work.
Program Requirements & Eligibility
Individual Eligibility: Individuals must be all of the following:
- Identify as an artist, working in any discipline, at any stage in their career, who has evidence of artistic output respective of their career stage.
- Have a primary residential address in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, or Washington county for at least the 6 months prior to the application deadline (July 10, 2021 – January 10, 2022), and continue to reside in this region for the entirety of the project period. (Please note that projects do not need to take place within the seven-county metro area, but applicants must reside in the seven-county metro area.);
- Be at least 18 years of age on the grant deadline date (January 10, 2022).
Project Eligibility: Individual artists may seek support for any of the following (or a combination of the following):
- Support to learn new skills that adapt, transition or expand their creative process or artistic practice. For example, participation in a training, master class or workshop (enrollment in a degree or certificate program is not eligible).
- Support to overcome a barrier to success, professionalize or increase artistic output or quality. For example, the acquisition of equipment to help an artist increase quality, diversify, or otherwise improve upon their artistic process or product.
- Research, produce or present new creative work.
- Support for development of a business plan, creation of promotional materials, and/or documentation of a creative portfolio.
For more information, visit Next Step Fund.