The Worcester Arts Council (WAC) accepts grant applications from individuals and organizations for the Fellowship and Project Grants.
Donor Name: Worcester Arts Council (WAC)
County: Worcester County (MA)
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant:
- Fellowship Grants: up to $5,000
- Project Grants: $5,000
The Worcester Arts Council (WAC) receives an annual appropriation of state funds from the Massachusetts Cultural Council (MCC), and makes these funds available to the community through its grant programs. WAC accepts grant applications for individuals and organizations, and is one of the few Local Cultural Councils (LCCs) in the Commonwealth to offer Fellowships on an annual basis.
Grants are issued to support arts, humanities, interpretive sciences, visual artists, performing artists, science educators, historians and other humanists; as well as community, business and civic groups, social service organizations, schools, neighborhood centers and youth, senior and family associations.
Types of Grants
- Fellowship Grants: Assist individuals in developing their work outside the structure of a specific project or presentation. Artists in any discipline may apply. All Fellowship applicants must maintain a residential, commercial or studio address in the city of Worcester.
- Project Grants: Assist in the development of projects and programs in the arts, humanities and interpretive sciences. Applicants must demonstrate a tangible benefit to Worcester citizens. All grant applicants must maintain a residential, commercial or studio address in Worcester County. All WAC-funded projects must occur within the city of Worcester.
While all projects in the arts, humanities, and sciences will be considered, based on community input gathered in 2023, WAC will give preference to grant applications that align with the following Funding Priorities for 2024:
- For project Grants: Awards have historically ranged from several hundred dollars up to $5,000.
- For Fellowship Grants: WAC typically awards a minimum of two fellowships in the amount of $5,000 each year.
- Artists in any creative discipline are eligible
- Applicants must maintain a residential, commercial, or studio address in the city of Worcester. Post office boxes do not meet this requirement and are not allowed. Commercial address refers to a business the applicant owns; an address at a place of work does not meet this requirement.
- Preference is given to applicants who have not previously been awarded a WAC Fellowship.
- 2023 Fellows are not eligible to receive a Fellowship in 2024.
- WAC 2024 Fellows must have a presentation or exhibition during 2024 (the grant year in which they receive an award). In-person presentations/exhibitions must take place in the city of Worcester to meet this requirement. Virtual presentations or exhibitions are also acceptable. Fellows are not obligated to use their Fellowship award to fund this requirement.
- City of Worcester employees are not eligible for a WAC Fellowship. As with Project Grants, even if the grant funding would be used to pay the municipal employee for services outside the scope of their role with the City of Worcester, WAC funds cannot be used to pay salaries/stipends to City of Worcester employees, including police, teachers, board members, temporary or contract employees, and City staff members.
- Individuals, artists, artist groups, arts and cultural organizations, community organizations, nonprofit organizations, associations that can establish a nonprofit objective, public schools, libraries, and other municipal agencies are eligible to apply. Organizations and fiscal agents must have tax exempt status under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Project grant applicants must maintain a residential, commercial, or studio address in Worcester County. Post Office boxes do not meet this requirement and are not allowed. Commercial address refers to a business the applicant owns; an address at a place of work does not meet this requirement.
For more information, visit Worcester Arts Council.