Applications are now open for the Folk Arts Apprenticeship Grant Program to foster the sharing of traditional (folk) artistic skills between a mentor and an apprentice who is already familiar with the genre.
Donor Name: Rhode Island State Council on the Arts (RISCA)
State: Rhode Island
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): 10/03/2022
Size of the Grant: $1,000 to $3,000
Grant Duration: 6 months
The program creates this opportunity specifically for individuals who share a common cultural heritage. The folk arts are defined as those artistic practices which are community or family-based and express that community’s aesthetic heritage and tradition. The learning process is informal and passed on from generation to generation by word of mouth, apprenticeship, and imitation.
- Grant requests may range from $1,000 to $3,000.
- The activities taking place from January 1 to June 30.
- Applications must be submitted by the mentor artist.
- Please note that RISCA encourages one-on-one apprenticeships. In some cases, more than one apprentice per mentor is appropriate and will be allowed. Please contact Elena via email to discuss the application.
- You must be a citizen or a permanent legal resident of the United States, and a resident of the State of Rhode Island for a minimum of twelve (12) consecutive months prior to the date of application to apply for support from the Rhode Island State Council on the Arts.
- Only one Folk Arts Apprenticeship application is allowed per person per deadline. Individuals may not apply for a Folk Arts Fellowship and a Folk Arts Apprenticeship at the same deadline.
- Folk Arts Apprenticeship applicants are ineligible to reapply for one fiscal year if they have received funding in this category for three consecutive years.
- Past RISCA grant recipients may not reapply for RISCA funds unless all final reports for previous awards have been submitted.
- RISCA staff, Council and their spouses and immediate relatives are ineligible to apply for RISCA funds.
- There is no age requirement to participate as an apprentice. Apprentices under the age of 16 must submit a parent’s or legal guardian’s release or permission form as part of the application procedure.
- Applicants (mentor artists) must 18 years of age or older.
- All RISCA grant awards are contingent upon the availability of funds from the Rhode Island State General Assembly and the National Endowment for the Arts.
- Grant applications are considered on a competitive basis.
For more information, visit RISCA.