Applicants are invited to apply for the 2023 Bronx Recognizes Its Own (BRIO) Award. This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.
Donor Name: Bronx Council On The Arts
State: New York
Type of Grant: Award
Size of the Grant:$5,000
Bronx Recognizes Its Own (BRIO) provides direct support to individual Bronx artists who create works in the literary, media, visual, and performing arts. BCA awards grants up to $5,000 to Bronx artists each year, based solely on artistic excellence. Winners complete a one-time public service activity known as Artists for Community Enrichment (ACE), an essential component required of all BRIO recipients to be completed within a year of receiving the award. ACE provides artists with additional visibility and demonstrates to the community the wealth of artistic talent available in their borough.
Adjudication panels are comprised of seasoned artists and arts professionals from outside the borough who, guided by discipline specific criteria and experience, review submissions anonymously and select awardees for distinction, whose work demonstrates the following:
- An innovative approach to the discipline
- Probing and pushing of boundaries
- Technical expertise and high level of skill
- Ingenuity and rigor in its production
- An awareness of the medium within a historical context
- Compelling vision and original voice
In addition, winners are required to complete a one-time public service activity known as Artists for Community Enrichment (ACE) within a year of receiving the award. ACE events provide artists with additional visibility and demonstrate to the community the wealth of artistic talent available in their borough.
BCA is proud to continue the BRIO tradition, offering this invaluable honor in the Bronx that
- Boosts early career artists
- Highlights previously unknown voices
- Recognizes quality artistic practice
- Fosters connection between Bronx artists and their communities
- You must be 18 years old or older.
- You must be a resident of the Bronx. Applicants must provide 2 proofs of Bronx residency.
- You must have an e-mail address
- You must have a Social Security number
For more information, visit Bronx Recognizes its Own (BRIO).