Artist Development grants provide up to $500 to local artists from Chemung, Schuyler, and Steuben counties. These grants support professional opportunities as well as help to alleviate economic disparity and insecurity facing artists.
Donor Name: ARTS Council of the Southern Finger Lakes (The ARTS Council)
State: New York
Counties: Chemung County (NY), Schuyler County (NY), Steuben County (NY)
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): Ongoing
Size of the Grant: $50 to $500
Artist Development grants are administered by The ARTS Council of the Southern Finger Lakes with funding from the Community Foundation of Elmira-Corning and the Finger Lakes.
Grants from $50 to $500 are available. The maximum dollar amount any one applicant can request per year is $1,000.
Funding can only be used to support the specific request in the application. Awards will be made with the intention of supporting as many applicants as possible.
- Individual artists of all disciplines and expertise, 18 years of age or older, living in Chemung, Schuyler, and Steuben counties may apply.
- Students, full or part time, of any age are not eligible.
The following is an example of what this grant can fund:
- Fees and associated expenses for opportunities such as exhibitions, residencies, conferences, or classes that advance an artist’s professionalism
- Equipment and supplies to sustain their artistic practice
- Lost income from cancelled opportunities
- Unexpected expenses affecting an artist’s livelihood and financial security such as medical bills or household emergencies.
This is not an exhaustive list as this grant is meant to be tailored to meet specific needs that arise.
Commitment to an opportunity via an enrollment, invitation, or acceptance form will strengthen an application’s competitiveness. Demonstration of loss of income, unexpected expenses, or equipment and supply expenses is required.
Grants are awarded based on the following primary criteria:
- Professional Impact
- Financial Need
Priority is given to the following:
- Applications that advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility
- First time applicants
- Applications that are clear, concise, and complete
Each application is reviewed on the basis of its own merits. Limited funds are available and awards will be made with the intention of supporting as many eligible artists as possible.
For more information, visit Artist Development Grant.