The SVArts Award Program, including the SVLaureates and the Content Emerging Artist Award, awards unrestricted cash prizes to support artists while they pursue their creative work.
Donor Name: SVCREATES
County: Selected Counties
Type of Grant: Award
Size of the Grant: $5,000
SVCREATES recognizes the region’s finest artists who have demonstrated a commitment to developing their art forms and to enriching the greater Santa Clara County region with exhibitions, performances, presentations, and service.
The purpose of the SVArts Award Program is to:
- Recognize the artistic vibrancy and impact of their local artists
- Provide monetary support to encourage continuing development of the artist’s work
- Spotlight the important role individual artists play in contributing to a vital and creative community
Awards and Categories
The 2023 SVArts Program will award up to three Content Emerging Artist Awards of $5,000 each. Awards will be presented at a public celebration in May 2023. All awardees will be featured in the May 2023 issue of Content Magazine.
Content Emerging Artist Award recognizes early career artists in all genres for artistic achievement and commitment to a path toward becoming a professional artist.
- Visual Arts
- Performing Arts
- including art that is presented for an audience on a formal or informal stage. Eligible applicants include artists creating work that is developed offstage, backstage, or pre-performance (choreographers, composers, stage directors, stage/set/costume designers). Or performers themselves (dancers, actors, spoken word artists, instrumental/vocal musicians).
- Literary Arts
- all written literary art forms, including poetry, prose, stage or screenplay.
An Emerging Artist is defined as:
- An artist in the early stages of their career (not defined by age)
- Demonstrating a commitment to their practice, working intentionally over the last 3-5 years to develop and promote a career as a professional artist
- Having some evidence of professional achievement through exhibitions or performances in public settings
- Being rigorous in their approach to creation and production
- Having developed an original body of work with a clear identity
- Taking risks and embracing challenges
- Be an artist in their 2nd-10th year of creative practice, post-student status (if applicable), with some track record of creating and presenting full work (not beginning artists), and artists who are NOT at a point in their careers where they receive consistent development and production opportunities and significant recognition, awards, and acclaim (not mid-career or established artists).
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of the application deadline.
- Spend at least five-ten hours a week on and may derive income from the practice/creation of art.
- Have exhibited, performed, presented and/or published artistic work in a public context within the last three years.
- Be the principal creator/performer or the sole author of work(s) submitted.
- Be a resident of Santa Clara County or one of several bordering counties (Alameda, San Mateo, San Benito, and Santa Cruz Counties) for at least one year prior to the application deadline, AND can demonstrate through professional history that artistic activity has had an impact on residents of Santa Clara County.
For more information, visit SVArts Award Program.