The Westly Foundation is requesting applications for the 2023-2024 Westly Prize for Young Innovators of California.
Donor Name: Westly Foundation
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Prize
Size of the Grant: $40,000
The Westly Prize for Young California Innovators honors talent, creativity, and the daring humanitarian spirit of aspiring social entrepreneurs.
Innovations in any of the following categories are eligible for consideration:
- Civic Engagement
- Food Production/Distribution
- Technology/Tech for Good
- Youth Development
The Foundation will award up to three Grand Prizes of $40,000 each to individuals or teams of up to four members. Grand Prize winners who applied as individuals will receive $40,000; winners who applied as teams will split the $40,000 award amount among the team members. Honorable Mention winners will receive $5,000, to be split in the same manner.
- Innovators may apply as individuals or as teams of up to four members. If you are applying as a team, at least 50% of the team must meet ALL eligibility requirements (e.g. at least one member of a two-person team, and at least two members of a three- or four-person team).
- Age: An individual founder must be under the age of 28 years during the calendar year in which they apply. If a team of co-founders applies, at least half of the founding team must be under age 28 in the year they apply.
- Residence: Live, work, or attend school in California, or come from California and attend school elsewhere. An individual founder or at least half of the co-founders must be resident(s) of or live in California at the time of the application and throughout the selection process.
- Role: Creator/founder or co-creator/founder. All co-founders must be listed on the application.
- Geographic scope of innovation: Any
- Issue Focus: Any, so long as the innovation addresses a community challenge and is grounded in a strong social purpose
- Stage of organization: Early-stage, but must have a working prototype
- Form of organization: Any, so long as social purpose is central
- At least one co-founder is able to present remotely on January 20, 2024.
The foundation welcomes applications from young innovators from California who want to make the world a better place. They evaluate candidates on these criteria:
- Quality of the Innovation: The community challenge is significant, and the innovator(s) has/have a working prototype of the solution that exhibits creativity, originality, and has been tested with some success.
- Impact: Applicant has developed a new and compelling solution to a social challenge anywhere in the world, and has developed an innovation that shows potential to scale.
- Capacity & Sustainability: Applicant demonstrates sufficient organizational infrastructure to move forward or the ability to build that capacity, and is committed to the ongoing sustainability and scaling of their innovative venture.
- Leadership: Applicant is a leader and creative problem-solver with a willingness to try, fail, adapt, and persist.
For more information, visit Westly Foundation.