The Riley’s Way Call For Kindness offers a robust Leadership Development Fellowship for participants of the winning projects.
Donor Name: Riley’s Way Foundation
State: All States
County: All Counties
Type of Grant: Fellowship
Size of the Grant: $1000 to $10,000
Grant Duration: 1 Year
The Call For Kindness (C4K) gives young leaders (ages 13-23) across the country the skills, connections, and funding they need to run social impact projects that inspire kindness and strengthen their local, national, or global communities.
Your project can fall under one of the following categories:
- General Application
- This category is for projects focused on any issue area besides the special topic. Up to 29 projects will be awarded in the General Category.
- Special Topic
- This category is for projects focused on the 2023 special topic: Educational Equity. Up to 10 projects will be awarded in the Special topic.
- Yuriko Kikuchi Arigato Award
- This category is for projects that have a focus in the dance/arts field. They will be awarding one award in this category.
The three pillars of the Fellowship focus on skill-building, connection-making, and project support.
- Skill Building – Throughout the year-long Fellowship, participants gain skills that build their efficacy as leaders and help them further their projects. Riley’s Way provides workshops and professional development opportunities designed to enhance Fellow’s leadership and project management skills. Individual skill-building training may vary each year as they tailor the experience and sessions based on the interests and needs of each cohort. Examples of past workshops include diversity, equity, and inclusion; budgeting & fundraising; and how to get press. Professional development has included opportunities for Fellows to be interviewed by reporters and see themselves featured in podcasts, articles, or news clips; facilitate a skill or topic-based session for other changemakers; or talk on a panel about their project or kind leadership at a national conference.
- Inclusive Community – Inclusive community is at the heart of Riley’s Way. Over the year-long Fellowship, participants will learn how to share their stories, strengthen their networking skills, and become part of a national network of like-minded youth, adults, and experts who inspire and support them. This network will continue long past the end of the Fellowship and will be a support and resource as Fellows move forward in their careers. Connecting with and learning from other young changemakers and building lasting bonds is often part of the Fellowship that participants find the most rewarding.
- Project Support – Through the Call For Kindness, Riley’s Way offers direct financial support for projects (up to $5,000) and 1:1 project support, mentoring, brainstorming, and problem-solving. Staff members are available for bi-weekly one-on-one conversations and support. They may connect Fellows to other issue-based experts as needed. Fellows also get support, ideas, and encouragement from current and prior Fellows in group brainstorms and problem-solving sessions. This year, in addition to staff support, Riley’s Way will pair each project with a mentor for the year. Mentors include inspiring leaders in nonprofit or industry, past C4K Fellows, Riley’s Way staff or Board members, and subject matter experts.
The Call For Kindness consists of a 12-month leadership development fellowship and a startup grant of up to $5,000.
Any US citizen or DACA recipient between the ages of 13-22 can apply. Applicants must reside in the United States.
For more information, visit Riley’s Way Foundation.