The United Way of Washtenaw County’s (UWWC) Opportunity Fund is now open for applications. The Fund is a resource for local organizations and groups whose efforts address poverty, racism and trauma: root causes of systemic oppression and three forces which hold opportunity at bay for all people in Washtenaw County.
Donor Name: United Way of Washtenaw County
County: Washtenaw County (MI)
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $500 to $20,000
Grant Duration: 1 year
For over 100 years your local United Way has been working to eliminate injustice and inequity in order to realize a community where:
- Members use their power and privilege to end poverty in their county;
- Your zip code no longer predicts your opportunity in life;
- Academic opportunity and achievement gaps between races and ethnicities are eliminated;
- Everyone in community has safe, comfortable and affordable housing;
- Life expectancy, regardless of race, ethnicity or income level, is the same across all populations and communities;
- Poverty is not intergenerational. If it exists, it is intermittent and brief;
- Everyone is able to thrive and experience a life of joy, purpose and rest.
Focus This Year: This cycle, they will be supporting organizations and groups who desire:
- Piloting/testing a community solution to meet emerging needs connected to poverty, racism or trauma.
- More fully expressing a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). This could include, but is not limited to efforts like staff and board training, culture change, completing a DEI assessment, more intentionally engaging the community with whom you work, etc.
- Resources for the things that keep leadership up at night. Here they are talking about items/work that advance your mission but may be tricky to find funding for, such as professional development for your staff, certifications, software, etc.
At the time of this publication, UWWC has up to $200,000 available for investment. They are delivering one-year, project-connected support through this grant program. They will consider requests ranging from $500 to $20,000 from the Opportunity Fund
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Local 501(c)(3) non-profit human service organizations, local governments, higher education institutions and school districts that are located within and serving Washtenaw County. They welcome submissions from groups without 501(C)(3) status through a fiscal agent.
For more information, visit UWWC.