The Colcom Foundation grants program focuses on remediating environmental damage from a history of heavy industry and supporting the region’s rich cultural heritage.
Donor Name: Colcom Foundation
County: Selected Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Colcom Foundation’s funding interests include:
- Carrying Capacity: Colcom Foundation supports national projects acknowledging the impact of human population growth on the environment.
- Family Planning: Population Media Center utilizes entertainment-education and mass media to prevent unplanned and unwanted births to reduce birth rates globally.
- Immigration: According to Pew Research Center, immigration accounts for 88 percent of US population growth. NumbersUSA, Federation for American Immigration Reform, and Center for Immigration Studies seek to advance a public conversation on sustainable immigration policy. By reducing current immigration levels, the US can stabilize and gradually decrease its population, thereby shrinking its ecological footprint. Colcom Foundation supports stabilizing and beginning to gradually shrink the US population by 2040.
- Environment: Colcom Foundation supports environmental and conservation projects in southwestern Pennsylvania. Southwestern Pennsylvania includes the following counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Blair, Butler, Cambria, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Somerset, Washington, and Westmoreland.
- Activism: Penn Future protects their air, water, and land by empowering citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations.
- Conservation: The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy’s Revolving Fund for Local Land Trusts provides grants in the form of rapid response short-term, zero interest loans to land trusts and other nonprofits seeking to preserve open space and conserve high priority properties.
- Education and Media: The Allegheny Front is a public radio program covering environmental issues in western Pennsylvania. It airs on WESA in Pittsburgh and stations throughout the region.
- Legal: Fair Shake Environmental Legal Services is a nonprofit law firm that provides sliding-scale services to individuals negatively impacted by regional environmental issues such as fracking.
- Research: The National Aviary is home to more than 500 birds representing more than 150 species from around the world.
- Stewardship: Tree Pittsburgh restores and protects the urban forest through tree planting and care, education, advocacy, and land conservation.
- The Foundation for Pennsylvania Watersheds invests in efforts to protect, preserve, and restore Pennsylvania’s water resources and watersheds.
- Trails: The September 11th National Memorial Trail Alliance is connecting the Flight 93 National Memorial to the Great Allegheny Passage.
- Waste Diversion: Pennsylvania Resources Council protects local resources for future generations through environmental education, recycling, anti-litter campaigns, and more.
- Youth: The Student Conservation Association offers year-round conservation opportunities to young people in Pittsburgh.
- Community: Colcom Foundation supports projects that enrich and improve quality of life in southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Arts and Culture: Carnegie Museum of Natural History’s We Are Nature: Living in the Anthropocene exhibition explored the unprecedented impact humans are having on the Earth.
- Community and Economic Development: Scenic Pittsburgh protects, enhances, and promotes the scenic beauty – both natural and built – of southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Grounded improves the social, economic, and environmental health of communities by building capacity to reclaim vacant and underutilized land.
- Education: Touchstone Center for Crafts’ Summer Internship Program enables emerging artists, graduate, and undergraduate students to learn studio management and operations while refining their artistic skills and working with some of the nation’s best artists.
- Community Kitchen Pittsburgh uses food as the foundation to change lives and strengthen communities, providing culinary training and career paths to individuals who experience barriers to employment.
- Health and Human Services: Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs paired service dogs with Pittsburgh veterans.
- Compassion & Choices improves care, expands options, and empowers individuals to map their end-of-life journey through medical aid in dying.
- Leisure and Recreation: The Walled Garden Fountain in Mellon Park was restored by Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy.
- Public Safety: The American Red Cross Southwestern Pennsylvania chapter provides disaster relief to local residents.
For more information, visit Colcom Foundation.