Applicants are encouraged to apply for the Unconventional Gas Well Fund Grant Program for certification, equipment and training for unconventional gas well pad emergency.
Donor Name: Pennsylvania Government
County: Selected Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: Up to $ 4,000
The Pennsylvania State Fire Academy (PSFA) under the authority of the Office of the State Fire Commissioner (OSFC) and pursuant to Act 13 of 2012 manages the Unconventional Gas Well Fund Grant Program (Program). The Program provides training, certification, and equipment grants to eligible applicants to improve and enhance the capabilities of emergency services throughout the counties where unconventional gas well drilling and production is occurring, and those counties that directly border these counties. The Program funds are intended for the development, delivery and sustainment of training and certification for fire companies, rescue companies, and emergency medical services, and the acquisition of specialized equipment for emergency responses relating to natural gas production from unconventional gas wells. Program funds may be used for projects that are determined to be eligible in accordance with this guidance, and Act 13 of 2012.
- Grant awards will not exceed $ 4,000 for a single application and project.
- For a joint project that represents a single application with up to four (4) additional cooperating applicants [total of five (5)], the grant amount cannot exceed $6,000 (up to an additional $500 per each additional cooperating applicant).
- Certification: Obtaining professional National Certification for members.
- Equipment: Purchase of firefighting, emergency medical, rescue, or air monitoring equipment used on, or related to, an unconventional gas well pad emergency response. All equipment purchased through the grant program will include training on the equipment provided at no additional costs to the grant recipient(s).
- Training: Training classes and required educational materials paid for with Act 13 UGWF Grant Program funds must be PSFA approved curriculum, and meet a predetermined minimum class size.
- The Act 13 UGWF Grant Program provides grants for volunteer and career fire, emergency medical services, and rescue companies throughout the 40 counties of Pennsylvania (PDF) where unconventional gas well drilling has been permitted, or those counties that directly border the permitted counties and who respond to gas well related emergencies.
For more information, visit Pennsylvania Government.