The Hudson River Valley Greenway has announced a Call for Proposals for the 2022 Council and Compact Grant Program.
Donor Name: Hudson River Valley Greenway
State: New York
County: Selected Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Grant Size: $5,000-$10,000
The Greenway Compact planning approach is one of thinking regionally as communities plan locally. It includes physical connections and linkages between communities for local and regional benefit. Additionally, it extends beyond physical linkages to encourage voluntary regional cooperation among the communities and counties of the Hudson River Valley to address issues of collective concern and promote mutually beneficial regional approaches. The Greenway Compact program facilitates a coordinated regional planning process for voluntary cooperation in support of the five Greenway Criteria.
The five Greenway criteria include:
- Natural and Cultural Resource Protection – Protect, preserve, and enhance natural resources, including natural communities, open spaces, cultural and historic resources, scenic roads and scenic areas.
- Regional Planning – Working together to develop mutually beneficial regional strategies for natural and cultural resource protection, economic development, public access and heritage and environmental education.
- Economic Development – Encourage economic development compatible with the preservation and enhancement of natural and cultural resources including agriculture, tourism, and the revitalization of established community centers and waterfronts.
- Public Access – Promote increased public access to the Hudson River through the creation of riverside parks and the development of the Hudson River Valley Greenway Trail System.
- Heritage and Environmental Education – Promote awareness among residents and visitors about the Valley’s natural, cultural, scenic and historic resources.
Requests for Greenway funds typically range from $5,000-$10,000. Intermunicipal collaboration planning projects that involve two or more municipalities will be considered for funding above $10,000. Compact Communities will also be considered for funding above $10,000.
- Municipalities must be located within the geographic area of the Greenway in order to be eligible. The Greenway area includes all of the municipalities within these counties: Albany, Columbia, Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rensselaer, Rockland, Saratoga, Ulster, Washington, Westchester, municipalities in Greene County that are at least partially or entirely outside of the Catskill Park boundary; and those portions of New York and Bronx counties adjacent to the Hudson River and within the city’s local waterfront revitalization program area pursuant to Executive Law Article 42.
For more information, visit Hudson River Valley Greenway.